Chapter 38: The Last Spark

            I woke up still wrapped in Chance’ arms under the dusky sky

            He looked so peaceful and innocent while asleep, and a sense of guilt prevented me from waking him up until I realized it was the last morning bonfire of summer.

            I stuffed a pillow into his face, and he let out a morning groan.

            “C’mon, rise and shine, we have a bonfire to go to!”

            His eyes flashed the moment I reminded him. “It’s our last bonfire, uh?”

            I nodded.

            “Wow, well, we better get going then. Don’t mind all of the stuff; we have to hurry up.”

            We immediately got up and ran back to his car.

            The moment the car started up, I realized that we had missed the first ten minutes.

            “Oh my gosh, we have to go, quick!” I said as I brushed out my knotted hair while unwrapping a piece of gum.

            “Don’t panic, the first ten minutes is usually just Elliot sharing some weird story or that one band kid playing his oboe.”

            “You mean Carlos?”

            “Probably.”

            The moment we arrived back at the Senior camp, we spotted the group of campers surrounding the crackling fire. As we arrived, I noticed Mei and Elliot cuddling with each other. Lillian was throwing marshmallows at the back of Damien’s head, and when he realized, he gave a small yet blushing grin back to her. Everyone else surrounding the campfire were people I’ve noticed before- some were newcomers while others have been campers at Cherry Creek for as long as me.

            As Chance and I sat down next to Damien, Tiffany also went over and sat right across from us. I gripped Chance’s hand to relieve my fear, but ironically, she slowly waved and gave me a smile, and it almost felt… sincere. 

            Elliot whispered something to Chance, and before you knew it, his eyes gleamed as he stood up, flinging his arms to the air.

            “It’s time for my speech!” Elliot yelled while he ran to the giant block of wood in front of the fire. Mei rolled her eyes while some campers let out a giggle or groan, knowing how stupid Elliot’s “speeches” usually are.

            “Okay,” he began, “first of all, you guys are probably tired of my speeches. I mean, some of you guys had to endure it for ten years! And to make matters weirder, I don’t even know why we even agreed to giving me a yearly speech.”

            Almost every camper nodded their heads in agreement while letting out a chuckle. Elliot’s speeches were always hilarious; they were just very stupid.

            “Well, since this is our last year together, I want this to actually be serious,” Elliot’s tone grew calmer, and it made me realize how everything led up to this moment, the moment where everyone is together as one.

            “Cherry Creek has probably been the best experience of my life. Like many of you fellow campers, it was always an escape from life. It allowed me to get away from everything going on in my daily life, and I was able to surround myself with people who I believe will be my lifelong friends.”