Pandoracle -Chapter One-

Pandoracle

Chapter One

Azure

The package was bare and brown. The paper was crinkled and the wrapping was awkwardly done. The bow made of rope that sealed the package was lopsided, but Azure did not care. It was the first gift that she had ever had.

"Oh wow," she said, smiling at Catalpa, "this is really amazing,"

Catalpa smiled, the making her mouth pulling back in a strained fashion. Whenever Azure felt queer, she would do the same smile in the mirror. The smile was sour. Azure did not like sour. She felt her fingers itch for the little package in her pocket.

"I'm sure it is Azure, now you better run along to breakfast or it will spoil," Catalpa replied sternly, her large coconut coloured eyes flashing at Azure. Azure smiled sweetly, pushing a short strand of white hair behind her ear.

"Oh yes, oatmeal and ragswood berries," smiled Azure, "wouldn't miss it for the world,"

"Run along now,"

"Yes Catalpa," grinned Azure, before turning around and walking down the stone corridor. Her feet made a strange noise as they hit the floor, a soft patter as the balls of her delicate feet hit the cold stone. She ran her hands against the damp wooden walls and felt the rush of tingling cold rush through her body.

She wouldn't be eating breakfast today, of course not, after all she didn't like fruit. She liked sugar, and today she would take her bowl of food and run off into the meadows, past the brook and into the field of sugar cane, where she would collapse into sweet sweet heaven.

She remembered the package in her other hand and felt a ripple of excitement. And she'd open her gift, after all it was her birthday today. Perhaps it would be sugar.

Azure picked up her pace, running down the corridor and out into the fresh mildewy air. The long tables that were placed outside were filled with other orphans, eating, talking and laughing. Tables made of white, soft wood were topped with small bowls of porridge and berries. 

Azure quickly tied the package to her belt, a cute little braid of leaves and quartz, and smiled calmly as she headed over to the main table, where the porridge was served.  She reached out for a bowl, and received one in return, the porcelain hot in her pale palms.

"Oh wow, thank you," she said, looking up into the server's eyes and grinning massively.

"No problem,"

The server was the skinny and gruff cook, Cassia. Her ratty hair appeared from under the tall white hat that cooks wore. Azure didn't know what it was called, nor did she really care.

"I'll be going," announced Azure, before spinning on her heel and running away from the serving table. The whole eating area was surrounded in tall pieces of grass that reached skyward. Azure ran at them, disappearing in an instant. She didn't stop there, she continued to run, watching the grass whip past her ears and make a strange noise. 

The noise, her own heart and the sloshing of porridge in the bowl mixed together. They were like a little soundtrack to her daily life. All that was missing was the little rattling of sugar.

As Azure tore through grass, she felt the package hitting her thigh and felt her excitement ensure even further.

She didn't pause when she saw the brook, bubbling and reflecting the sunlight, making it bounce off the rocks and create strange shapes. Her feet seemingly flew across the water, as she launched herself up the hillside adjacent to the water.