nine.

"harry?" louis whispers, his voice disturbing the quiet bedroom and causing harry to stir. all his hair was pushed to one side and louis resisted the urge to giggle at the site of harry's half-awake appearance.

"yes?" harry mumbles, groggily sitting up to turn and look at louis.

"do we have ice cream?" 

"are you serious?" 

"yes."

-----

they didn't have ice cream, which is how harry ended up at niall's apartment at 3 in the morning, desperately searching for his key, which was usually underneath the welcome mat, which wasn't even a welcome mat because louis and zayn had spray painted "fuck off" on it almost two years ago.

"fucking hell, ni, now you decide to move your key?" harry grumbles to himself, moving to the fake potted plant next to the mat and searching through the dirt for it. he was standing in just his boxers and a green and blue flannel with his bedhead and saggy eyelids in the middle of the outdoor hallway in the cold. and he was pissed.

all he wanted to do was make louis happy but niall's unorganized method of moving his keys and not managing to communicate this with the rest of the lot was very frustrating and not helping harry's efforts.

finally, harry finds niall's key at the top of the door frame and enters the apartment, heading to niall's small kitchen. the blond boy's apartment was laid out the same has harry and louis', as were zayn's and liam's apartments so it had always been easy for the boys to navigate each other's places.

much to harry's relief, he found half a tub of double chocolate ice cream in the freezer and even a spoon accidentally left in the tub.

as he's closing the fridge, the curly haired lad is startled by zayn appearing in front of niall's bedroom door, "h? is that you?" zayn's groggy voice causes harry to drop the ice cream on his foot, which then causes him to yell the f word very loudly. 

niall appears seconds later, seeming more concerned by the ice cream on the ground than the fact that harry had broken into his apartment. "haz, why are you stealing my ice cream? also, that flannel is really ugly."

harry rolls his eyes and picks up the carton and as he's about to respond, he realizes that zayn and niall are both naked, except zayn's had the decency to throw on some boxers. (niall did not). 

"holy shit," harry says. "did you two hook up?" 

the two boys turn bright red and zayn glares at harry. 

harry laughs loudly (much too loudly for 3 am) and shakes his head, exiting the kitchen. "bye boys! i love you both!" he calls but both zayn and niall are too embarrassed to respond.

----

"thanks, h," louis whispers happily, one hand holding a spoon and the other resting on his stomach. 

harry had been too excited over zayn and niall to go back to sleep, so instead, he was rubbing patterns along louis' stomach. "lou?"

"yeah, h?"

"have you thought about any names for the baby?" harry asks, looking up at louis through his eyelashes and once again, being struck by just how beautiful his husband was. louis' skin was tanned and clear, smooth over his protruding cheekbones. his eyes were bright and even bluer than they had been recently. 

louis interrupts his thoughts, "not really, i was waiting to find out the gender to really think about it."

harry nods. the boys had told their families about the baby and both of their mums had talked about coming for a visit soon to help with a baby shower, as they had told harry and louis. which meant louis and harry's siblings would be coming and there was simply not enough room in their  apartment for such an event.

"i love you," harry whispers.

"i love you too," louis replies, brushing a strand of hair from harry's forehead.

"i was talking to the baby," harry whines.

louis pouts and removes his hands from harry's grasp. he looks to his stomach and mumbles, "your daddy isn't very nice, baby."

harry grins up at louis and smirks, "call me daddy one more time. i dare you."

"harold!" louis snaps, knowing harry hated to be call that. "don't say that!" though, his voice falters as harry straightens up and leans over louis, knocking the ice cream carton to the floor.

"call me daddy, baby," harry demands, gripping both of louis' wrists in one hand. he reaches for louis' pajama pants with the other, eagerly tugging the waistband down further.

"harry," louis whines. "stop it, it's late. plus that is very inappropriate language to use around our unborn child."

"call me daddy," harry instructs him, ignoring louis' protests.

"but," louis argues, his voice cracking as harry rocks his hips and slowly decreases the distance between their bodies. louis nods, allowing harry to go further. "daddy."

"say it again," harry smirks.

"daddy," louis moans as harry's lips connect to the skin on his neck.