In the End

It was New Year's Eve at the bustling Hunter household. A large turkey slowly roasted in the oven filling the room with succulent aromas. Lily waited patiently for the others to join her at the table. She was looking fondly at the picture of her two sons standing in front of their newly renamed business. In the photo, the old sign showing Green Mountain Sawmills Corporation had been replaced with a new sign showing Ogden & Hunter Sawmills Inc. The young men were both beaming in the picture.

Tammy finally made her way slowly up to the laden table. At eight months pregnant, she wasn't moving too fast anymore. She had been busy examining the redwood wedding bed and redwood cribs that her mother had promised for her new family.

Lily and Johnny exchanged affectionate glances as they watched the evident warmth of the family, laughing and joking with each other. After several glasses of wine, Cory stood and said he would like to make a toast. "I must be the luckiest man on the planet. I got married and inherited a real blood brother, instead of an ordinary brother-in-law. I married a beautiful woman and inherited a real mother, instead of a mother-in-law. I got married, and although my real father has passed away, I inherited a man I am proud to call my father in his place." Everyone clapped in delight and raised their glasses in a toast.

Lily paused, all the memories flooding her. She finally raised her glass in the direction of the night sky. "And here's to you, Yesterday's Giant. Your two sons are a genuine tribute to your memory. May you forever rest in peace." Everyone at the table joined in the toast and then returned to the festivities once more together, as a warm and loving family.

End

For more Wes Snowden stories go to WWW.AMAZON.COM/AUTHOR/WESSNOWDEN

Comments to wessnowden98@gmail.com appreciated.