Entry log of the vizier

1500

Entry log of the vizier Astennu # 3/1/1500

Another month has passed and no ship came to supply our troops in Lower Egypt. The men fighting are starving and we up here can do nothing but watch one after the other either starve or die in war. For three months the ships with food and water for the armies seldom arrive. Their supplies should soon run out, then we can bury hundreds of dead souls again and hope that Anubis is gracious to them.

Holy Bastet, protect us from the evil forces that threaten to lurk in Lower Egypt!

Entry log of the vizier Astennu # 1/10/150

The long-awaited new sof out troops in Lower Egypt finally came today! A few of them are still alive – 1,000 so Babu and I guess. The young Pharaoh almost chased our empire into the abyss with his quest for power. 10,000 innocent people were killed, it is estimated. Soon my time will be over. I feel the age pull at my bones, in my dreams the gods call forme I have never seen comparable beings. So beautiful and dignified, full of power and wisdom, they shine at me as if there was nothing bad in our terrible world – only peace and purity.

1502

Entry log of the vizier Fenuku # 1/7/1502

Vizier Astennu was right! He was right about everything he ever said! Babu has destroyed our empire! Astennu has been dead for two years. I took his place as vizier of the Pharaoh, but I seemed to be doing everything wrong. Holy Maat, Holy Thoth, tell me: Have I just brought the wrong things to our world or is it Babu who acts with action instead of letting words speak? I can not explain it.

Entry log of vizier Fenuku # 1/9/1502

Babuis dead. Murdered by his own son! But Gahiji had no choice. He and his wife, Ebonique, rule well over Upper Egypt. Nevertheless, I have the feeling that this was not all. That's what the gods said in a dream. They didn't tell me what the threat was, but I know it's more dangerous and terrible than anything we can imagine! Holy Nut, protect our kingdom!

Entry log of the vizier Fenuku # 1/0/1502

Today I told Gahiji about my recurring dreams about the gods. But he just laughed at me, then he got very angry and ordered the guards to throwme – his loyal vizier into the dungeon. ''Blasphemy!'' He had shouted. ''How dare you talk about the Holy Deities like that?'' He had shouted. Did I just go crazy? Did Astennu's dead burden me so much with my job as the new vizier that I finally lost my mind? Butit felt so real...

Fenuku should be right. Only weeks after Pharaoh Gahiji's head broke, disaster broke upon Egypt. The sky darkened, the sand turned grey. There was no light left, shrouded in the deepest night, it seemed. The sun god, Ra and his forms and followers Aton, Atum, Chepreund, Haroeris, they are all gone! Apopis, Ra's arch enemy, and Chons, themoon god, are said to have teamed up to banish Ra and the sun to the underworld! Their goal was to bring eternal night upon Egypt so that Apophis finally had his revenge and Chons hat sole control over the glow in the sky. Pharaoh Gahiji and his loyal consort Ebonique didn't know what to do. They hat already offered many sacrifices in the temple, said many prayers, many spells. But nothing seemed to work. Ra was gone, and with him all light of Egypt.

The situation seemed hopeless until one day a pair of young twins agreed to free Ra, Aton, Atum, Chepre and Haroenis from the depths of the underworld. They were laughed at and accused of blasphemy, but thetwins whose names were Kek and Keket, did not give up. They stuck to belief that they would bring back the lost gods and let Egypt shine again in it's old glory. One night they sneaked out of their dwelling and went into the desert, where they say and old song, the lyrics and melody of which have long been forgotten. Some very ancient Egyptians say the text goes something like this:

''Osiris – the strong god of the dead, symbol of resurrection and eternal life, dead and fertility, Nephthys – mistress of the house, sister of Isis – seat and throne, mother and patron god beyond Egypt, protects us in our belief in Ra, believing in Aton, believing in Atum, believing in Chepre, believing in Haroeris, believing in us.''

Saying these words further and further the two siblings disappeared. They were never seen again but some said they sacrificed the mself and their souls, beliefs and courage to bring back the stolen golds. And so it was. The next morning the sun rose and Egypt shines in the most beautiful light that people have ever seen. But two new gods appeared on the table of gods in the Holy Temple of Ra, they just appeared overnight, nobody knew where the pictures came from. These gods showed a boy and agirl, both had white hair and dark eyes as blue as the Neil would never be. And their names were Kek and Keket – the gods of darkness.