The Scheme

Joe sat back in his chair - it was a quiet Monday morning in the office and he and Zoe had come in early to try and get a head start on transitioning the speaking tour behind Leo's back. Luckily, Leo hadn't booked many more dates, so they'd only had to cancel one in Central London for next week - and luckily, the location was interested in the smaller more intimate experience, and were already talking to them about re-booking next month.

It was only a matter of time before Leo heard of the cancellation, which was why Zoe had dragged Joe i before the sun to try and get everything with Alfie's contract figured out prior to the inevitable blow up that was coming their way. 

Though, Joe was having trouble focusing on anything beyond his thoughts on the mysterious redhead who he'd witnessed find out her boyfriend was cheating on her just a few nights earlier. Something about the expression on her face had stuck with him all through the weekend. And he found himself wondering if she was okay.

"Do you think Dianne is doing okay?" he blurted out of nowhere, blushing at Zoe's confused look and simultaneous smirk.

"I don't know, why don't you call her?" she grinned.

Joe shot her a glare before spinning his laptop her direction, "Alfie's contract is done. What do you think?"

Zoe nodded, reading it quickly with a smirk still on her lips as she shot him a knowing look, "It's good. But speaking of Dianne...do you think she'd be worth adding to our roster too?"

Joe felt his eyebrows shoot up.

"I just think she's good for the brand," Zoe continued. "She knows a lot about make up...Alfie definitely trusts her...you can just tell. She was great at setting up for the speaking event, but I think she'd be even more helpful in piecing together the new storefronts. She managed to make that lecture hall look fab. And no offense, but you aren't the most inspiring co-worker to have. I need more feminine energy around here..."

Joe grinned, "You don't like my opinions on lipstick colors?"

"I don't even ask you for a reason," Zoe rolled her eyes. "And besides...I know you don't want to work at Zoella forever. And I don't want to keep asking you to. You keep telling me I have to think about the future...and I feel like the future involves me making personnel decisions like this. Adding people we can really trust."

Joe nodded, considering Zoe's words. He'd been critiqued by Dianne for interfering in Zoe's business - and it had bothered him so much because he knew it was true. Up until now - or at least up until last Friday - he'd seen it as necessity. He was only doing what he had to do to ensure that the business wasn't ripped away from her.

But now...this was different. Zoe was peeking out from the wool Leo had pulled over her eyes. And though she seemed to be ready to take more control, he couldn't help cautioning her one more time.

"Just remember Zo...we JUST met them," Joe spoke gently. "I know they feel like friends, but we don't know much about them."

Zoe nodded, looking crestfallen as she conceded to his point.

"But," Joe added, tapping his chin, "I feel like I'm going crazy, but I think maybe you're onto something."

Zoe looked at him, hope in her eyes, "Really?"

"What if we added them both on a trial basis?" Joe asked, excitement lacing his voice. "I mean, Alfie has already agreed. We can ask him to talk to Dianne...maybe she'd be looking for a distraction after what happened this weekend..."

Zoe clapped, "Yes! And if she says yes, we can get a taste of what it would be like to work with people WE choose. Not Leo. If it fails spectacularly, we part ways and Leo won't even have to know."