21

Sophie's POV

I stood near the sink, trying to hold a glass of water to my lips but the nerves in my hand didn't allow me to. My hand shook furiously, making the water spill onto my hand.

I sigh out frustrated before throwing the water down the drain as I gripped onto the sink.

Tears burned my eyes as I threw my head back, trying to keep them at bay. I turn around and walk to the fridge to grab a bottle of water, searching through the cupboards for my medication and lay them out on the table.

I fall into a trance, looking at the three tiny white pills that the doctor said was supposed to make me feel better.

How was something so small meant to make me better?

As that thought crosses my mind, Avery comes into my head.

My baby girl. I smile at the thought of her. I missed her.

I look towards the pills once more, and with the thought of my daughter pushing me to get better, I swallow them.

My eyes catch a picture on the fridge, and my eyes immediately water. It was a picture of Cameron and Avery when she was first born.

I start thinking of that day.

The day I left my daughter behind.

What kind of mother was I?

I grit my teeth, mad at myself for not fighting hard enough. But that's exactly what I had to do now.

I jump at hands holding my shoulder. "It's just me." The soothing voice of Cameron mumbles and I instantly relax into his hold.

"I miss Avery." My bottom lip begins to quiver as I lay my head back onto Cameron's shoulder. "I miss her too baby." He mumbles, pressing a short kiss onto my shoulder.

"Can we bring her home tomorrow? It's been 4 days already." I beg, turning to face him. He sighs, giving me an unsure look. "I don't think it's the right time-" I cut him off snappily. "Is there ever a right time for anything? No." I huff, crossing my arms.

"Cam, I've been sober for almost 2 months. I haven't put my daughter in any danger. Sure, I can admit I'm not 100% coping fine, but not having Avery here doesn't make any progress for me or her." I wasn't letting them keep my daughter away from me any longer.

He stared at me, tucking my hair behind my ear and sighed. "I'll call my mom, I'll let her know we will pick her up tomorrow." He pressed a light kiss to my lips before standing up, walking towards the phone.

"Hey mom..." he smiled lightly. "Yeah, no, everything's fine." He said, shoving a hand into his jean pocket. "Yeah..." he dragged off, momentarily glancing my way before walking out of the kitchen.

What the hell was that about?

I push my ear against the door trying to hear what Cameron was saying but most of his speech was muffled.

"Yes I know....possibly....after last week.....I'm worried.... maybe.... safe....Avery....not ready." Even though I only heard parts of the conversation, I automatically knew what he was saying.

He didn't think I was ready to have her back.

He didn't think I was stable enough to care for Avery.

He thought the worse of me!

I bit the inside of my cheek, waiting for Cameron to return.

"Looks like Avery's coming home tonight!" He cheered as he busted through the door, arms open.