Chapter One

Chapter one

"I know the answer to your riddle," I said bravely. The crazy old man had frightened me since the moment I had slipped through my father's mirror, into his world full of secrets and mysteries.

"Oh really?" The mad hatter replied. "Out with it then. What creature walks on four legs in the morning, two in the afternoon, and three in the evening?"

"I have been doing a lot of reading of ancient stories, which I owe to my sister. The answer is man. And this riddle which you are so proud of comes from the Greek story of Oedipus Rex."

"Very good," the mad man replied. "We're getting quite good at this game, aren't we?"

"Yes, now let Collin go!" Collin was one of my best friends here in wonderland. He was half pixie and half man. I absolutely loved it when he took me flying.

"Oh, yes yes of course," the hatter replied. He lifted the top of the nearest teakettle and somehow pulled Collin, a full sized 17 year old, out of the kettle.

"How do you do it?" I marveled at the hatters magic. It was one thing that I truly admired of him.

"Thank you m'lady," Collin thanked me in his usual lighthearted tone.

"Shall we go to the meadow?" I asked.

He nodded and took my hand.

"But, lets fly!" He said. I had been wishing that he would say that. As we soared through the crisp fall air everything seemed perfect. I was always so content here in my father's land. It made me feel closer to him. He had been long gone the first time I set foot in wonderland. I had found and read his notebook talking about his creatures. Everyone thought he was mad. But if he was mad then I must be as well, for I followed his orders from the notebook and I see the creatures too. Momwraths, strange birds, the Cheshire Cat, the Marge Hare, pixies. They're all real, at least to me.

Collin and I laid down on the grass in the meadow. It was always so peaceful here.

"So Allie, looks as though you came to rescue me," Collin said, smiling coyly. As the years had gone on our friendship had slowly grown more and more flirtatious, I didn't mind at all.

"It seems as though I did," I said, sitting up and sliding closer to him. He followed and sat up as well. Our fingertips brushed. Everything always felt so right here. Collin took my hand and looked me in the eye. I blushed and looked down. Then I looked back up and smiled at him so that Ge knew that I did not mind.

"Well look at these little lovebirds," said a voice.

I looked up.

"Cheshire cat," I muttered.

"Why don't I walk you home?" Collin offered. I smiled gratefully.

"That would be lovely," I replied. U was so graceful here, unlike at. Home where everyone thought I was bumbling and awkward. Once we reached the house and he helped me weave around the live furniture it was time to say goodbye.

"Shall I see you again tomorrow, Alice?" Collin asked me.

"You shall have to wait and see," I said. And with that I crept back in through the looking glass of my night chamber. It used to be my fathers key to his magical world, but I took it from my parents suite after I discovered wonderland when I was but ten years of age. Now it was back to bed. I was just thankful my mother hasn't caught me out of bed. I climbed into my bed and fell fast asleep.