Chapter 7: Heartbreak

Coral cried, diving into their pool. She wanted to escape. Wash the memories of Pix away. Wash away the man's scent. Wash away her fears and heartbreak.
Phoenix walked out towards the pool, concerned about Coral. She obviously wasn't coping well. "Coral?" She called.
As Coral surfaced, she saw Phoenix crouching by the pool and kept most of her body submerged, poking her eyes and ears above the surface.
"Hm..?"
Phoenix gasped as she noticed her eyes had stopped sparkling. They were full and black, no longer innocent like the day before. Phoenix sighed"
"Everything ok?"
"Does it look ok?" With that, coral pushed herself against the side, propelling away from Phoenix.
~~~
When the siblings got back, their mother was waiting for them at the door.
"Hey guys! I strongly suggest avoiding coral tonight, she... had a rough day." Phoenix exclaimed. "Ok? Awesome"
They all rushed to the dining room and started their studying. They all put Corals work she missed on a side table, on the growing pile. The school needed Coral to come in. Her attendance had become dangerously low.
~~~
Pix tried to call coral, but it went straight to answerphone. Of course it did. Why would Coral want to talk to her? She had betrayed Coral, and couldn't expect an apology. Pix was the first person who had been trusted by her. If Phoenix hadn't arrived when she did, coral might have been gone by the time they all came home.
~~~
Coral slowly shut her eyes, fearful of any dreams- or nightmares- she might encounter in her sleep. Sleeping underwater, no one could disturb her. She was free of everyone as she settled down, curling up into a foetal position.
~~~
"Coral?? CORAL?" Phoenix grew agitated as she searched for Coral. Could the men have taken her? "Coral where are you???" Phoenix fell into a heap on the floor, sobbing, when she was suddenly made aware of the floorboards creaking, and water dripping down onto the oak wood floor. She looked up curiously.
"Who are you....?"