Memory 27

The hourglass symbol. I see it everywhere I go, yet I have no idea what it means. Part of me wants to believe in the idea of a higher power and the possibility that my future has already been foretold, but deep down I know it's impossible. No one can predict the future.

"I can't do this." I'm not sure if I say it aloud or not. It doesn't matter.

I glance at my companions. Jonn seems indifferent. Kara looks sad, though I'm not sure why. All I know is I can't handle the responsibility that has been thrust upon me.

"I'm sorry," I say as I flee the cavern.

I don't know where I'm going but anywhere is better than here. I hurry across the green pasture, dodging the hundreds of korrigans that now riddle it. They go about their business, barely even noticing me as I jump over hole after hole. I eventually reach the far side of the clearing and duck into the safety of the jungle. Following the trail that brought us here, I retrace our steps until I reach the sacrificial altar. I quickly scale the steps leading to it and, now completely alone, bury my face in my hands.

I expect tears to stream down my cheeks, but none do. I feel lost, overwhelmed. I have trouble breathing; I'm suffocating under the weight of the responsibilities that have been placed upon me. So much has happened in the past few days, and none of it makes sense. I was dragged kicking and screaming into this insanity. The one time I chose to take action, I ended up saving the wrong person.

"What's wrong with me?" I groan.

"Nothing," says a familiar voice. I look up to find Kara walking toward me. She's alone, which is good because I don't think I could handle dealing with Jonn at the moment.

I consider asking to be left alone, but I realize that's the last thing I want.

"Why is this happening to me?" I ask as Kara takes a seat beside me.

"I don't know," she admits. "All I know is that you have an opportunity to bring hope to a population that sorely needs it."

I'm not sure I understand what she's implying, and I don't care.

"What about me?" I ask. "Why can't someone help me? I just want to go home and meet my mother. Is that too much to ask?"

Kara doesn't respond immediately.

"The right thing to do is rarely the easy thing," she tells me. "Right now, there's nothing you can do to help yourself, but you have it within your power to help the korrigans."

"What do you mean?"

Kara tries to wrap her arm around my shoulder in a comforting gesture, but I shy away from her. I already have enough on my plate without having to deal with being trapped in a girl's body.

"Sorry," she says, pulling away. We sit in silence for a moment before she answers my question.

"The korrigans believe you're their saviour," she says. "While that may or may not be true, pretending you are will give them something they desperately crave."

"What?"

"Hope."

"Isn't giving them false hope worse than them having no hope at all?"

Kara shrugs. "I don't know, but I do know if you don't give them what they want they will feel as though they have no choice but to sacrifice one of their own."

I think of Korri, and immediately realize Kara is right. Lying to the korrigans may feel wrong, but if doing so means saving an innocent life, then it's what I have to do.

"All right," I finally agree. "I'll do it."

"That's the spirit," says a voice from nearby. I look up to see Jonn walking toward us. I should be angry that he interrupted what was supposed to be a private conversation, but I'm not. Jonn and Kara are the closest things I've ever had to friends, and now more than ever, I'm in desperate need of companions.

"What now?" I ask once Jonn has joined us.

"We need to come up with a plan," he says. For once, I completely agree with him.

"Any suggestions?"

"We must find Avalon," says Kara. "Without her ring, there's no way for us to get home."

"How are we supposed to find her?" I ask. "She could be anywhere. For all we know, she's not even in this time. She may not even be the one who sent us here."

"She is," claims Jonn. "Trust me."

"How can you be sure?"

"Avalon is prideful," explains Kara. "If she's behind this, she'll make sure we know it."

"And when she does," says Jonn, "we'll take her ring and use it to get home."

It sounds simple, but I can tell it will be anything but. Still, I refuse to give in to despair.

"Okay," I say. "How do we find her?"

"We'll find a way," claimsKara. I'm not sure why, but I believe her. For the first time since arriving inthis insane, dinosaur-infested time, I'm hopeful we'll make it out alive. Butonly time will tell whether or not that's wishful thinking.