Paramour

It has been two months since Thanatos was tasked to assist Persephone in dressing what suits her station. Word flew fast among New York society that the owner of Eubulus and Associates had finally gotten married, and the wife has been shopping a storm on the Upper East Side's luxury stores.

Everyone was curious on what this mysterious lady looked like. The few who had the chance to see her would rave about how beautiful she was. And very kind, too. Quite unusual compared to the women they usually cater to.

Paparazzi was having a hard time getting a photo of her. Bribing any of the household help was out of the question as they are very elusive as well.

Usually, it would be Thanatos who would call to schedule an appointment. Then, at Persephone's insistence, she wanted to be dropped off two streets away from the store and would usually prefer to enter through a side door, or if unavailable, the staff exit at the back of the store. But of course, tongues would wag.

Despite having unlimited credit on the card Hades acquired for her, Persephone was still uncomfortable with the fact that the things Thanatos and the store attendants would parade in front of her could easily feed a poor family for months.

Winter had already started, and after one of the visits Thanatos scheduled in Hermes, the thought still bothered Persephone on the way home as she tuned out Thanatos who was rattling away on his mobile phone. In the last two months, they had grown close and trusted the god of death a whole lot more.

She sighed softly and fidgeted with the hem of the black Chanel dress she picked out this morning.

"Stop that," Thanatos said, slapping her hand softly. "Everything ok, P?" he asked her.

Persephone nodded and looked out the car window.

"Listen, I will call you back. Send the details to my email." with that, Thanatos switched his phone off.

"Honey, what's wrong?" he asked.

"Thanatos, I appreciate everything you and the others have done for me the past few months. It's just that I feel guilty about the things that Hades is asking me to get used to," she confessed.

"Well, with all due respect Your Highness. You ARE queen of the Underworld. Had I let you gallivant in Forever21, Hades will skin me alive, then throw me to Tartarus. Persephone, you have to dress what suits your station." Thanatos spoke earnestly to the woman he had come to regard as a friend.

"This dress alone could feed a family comfortably for months!" she protested.

Thanatos clutched his hands in front of his chest and gasped. "A queen with a cause! I love it! You should have told me about this soonest. No need to worry, let's get you on the board of one of the charities Hades supports. Would you like to help the homeless? Children with terminal illnesses?"

"You can do that, Thanatos? Oh, thank you. I'd like to work with homeless people and stray animals. The weather is getting colder, and I'd like to help out as many as we could while we have time." she said earnestly.

Thanatos smirked. "Of course, I can do that. Consider it done. Let me just send out some emails, and hopefully I can give you an update tomorrow morning at the earliest. Speaking of which - you and Hades received an invitation to the opera's opening night. What would you have me send as a RSVP?" Thanatos asked as he took out his crocodile leather Smythson notebook.

"Hold that thought. I'd have to ask Hades first." Persephone replied.

"Alrighty then. Keep me posted. By the way, the rest of your week will be available. I have to get back to the Underworld tonight to check on my interns. But, in case you need me, you have my number. Or you can just summon me." Thanatos said as he flipped through the pages to double-check the week's schedule.