viii. good trouble

WHEN JAMIE walked into the precinct the day after her family dinner, she was a little relieved to see that the world hadn't imploded while she had been gone

WHEN JAMIE walked into the precinct the day after her family dinner, she was a little relieved to see that the world hadn't imploded while she had been gone. She knew it was just a night, but it felt like she had aged years. Having family time made her take a better look at the good things in her life, mostly because being with her family made it so hard to feel good about her life. Except for Cameron. No, she loved him, and he supported her in everything. But her parents? They wouldn't support her for much of anything.

"Hey, Jamie!" Terry greeted as he noticed her, and she waved, giving a curt smile. She still didn't know how to talk to him, and every time she looked at him, she thought about the captain and his deal with Seamus Murphy. She knew she should probably tell Terry as his second-hand, but a part of her just wanted Holt to work it out his damn self. She wasn't supposed to get attached to them anyway. That wasn't part of her plan. So she resolved to not telling Terry, rather just avoiding him as much as possible— hence the curtness of her actions.

Unfortunately, Terry didn't get the hint, waving her over. She sighed, coming over as he grinned. "Look, you got here just in time for the show."

He gestured toward the middle of the bullpen, and Jamie followed his hand to see Rosa and Jake tossing donut holes into each other's mouths like they had known each other for years. Well, they probably had. She was constantly reminding herself she was the odd person out here. It had been two months- two tumultuous and eventful months- and the only two people she could stand were tentatively Rosa and Jake. Interesting, for her.

Of course, the show didn't last long. Rosa threw a donut hole, missing Jake narrowly, and it fell off the side of the building. Knowing their luck, it would hit Captain Holt in the face on his way into work. That would get them all a nice scolding. Ugh. But two minutes later, Scully entered the bullpen, excitedly relaying to Hitchcock his good fortunes, and Jamie brushed aside all entertainments of the captain laying into his best detectives.

It was well enough, anyway. She had work to do. Work that was much more important than watching two adults act like children. She was more mature than that, certainly.

Two hours later, Jake and Amy walked into the bullpen, commandeering the room. "Attention, Nine-Nine, we have an announcement," came the voice of Jake, making Jamie look up from her sketch to raise an eyebrow at him. Before she could question him, Charles spoke up.

"Shrek Live is coming back to Broadway!"

Jamie wanted to roll her eyes at his enthusiasm; who liked Shrek Live anyway? Luckily, she didn't have to be the one to shoot him down, though she certainly would have enjoyed it.

"No, you dreamed that."

"Aww!" Charles threw his hands up, and Jamie almost felt a twinge of pity for him. He cared so much about some of the least important things in the world.

"We just came to tell you to save the date," Amy said, excitement written all over her face and in her voice, "because we're getting married on May 15th. We found a venue!"