Chapter 7: Pachtaoge Style

The caffeine is what I needed at that moment. Something that was going to keep me awake for the next couple of hours so that I didn't fall asleep. Even though it was in small doses compared to a big cup of coffee, I could still feel the caffeine flowing through my veins like it was part of my blood.

But, pair it with a sweet, creamy treat, and you deserve to be given a Nobel prize.  As I licked the nuts and the caramel gently mixed in, Manish walked towards us, with the creamy treat coating his upper lip.

I giggled, and said, "Manish, you got something right there." I rubbed my upper lip, as he took a napkin and wiped the ice cream from there. A tinge of embarrassment glowed on his face, as he went back to licking his ice cream.

Jen nibbled on a piece of cookie dough, and said, "Alright, so where do you guys want to go next? H&M? Banana Republic?"

Manish shrugged, and said, "I don't care. Wherever you guys have to go, I'll go with you. I don't have a lot to buy."

Jen started walking towards H&M, and I gave Manish the side look. He nodded, then pointed at a free bench. When I looked back where Jen was supposed to be, she was gone, venturing into the clothing racks at H&M. Manish sat down on the bench, then patted the empty space next to him. I sat down, and he rested his arm against the back of the bench.

I licked my ice cream one more time, feeling the sweet treat coat my tongue like a thin blanket, as he nibbled on a chocolate chip embedded in the ice cream. "Uh, Jaya?" he asked, finally breaking the silence like someone kicking a door open.

I turned my head. "Yes, Sunny?" I replied, which caused his bright smile to curl on his face.

I raised an eyebrow at his question, as he said, "Do you think you could help me brush up on my dancing skills?"

I squinted an eye, playfully, as he raised an eyebrow at me back. I licked some of the melting ice cream that was running down the side of my cone, and said, "Of course I can."

He gave me a smile, and then nudged me a little bit. "Why do you have to create that anticipation? It's not like I asked you to go execute someone with an AK-47."

I raised an eyebrow, and said, "Don't give me ideas." He let out a chuckle, as I started to nibble on the side of the cone.

As we continued to wait for Jen to come out, I felt a finger poke at my arm. "Poke," Manish's voice said in a robotic tone. I ignored it and continued to eat my ice cream, because Manish playing around with me wasn't something new. He was bored, and frankly, I was used to it. "Poke. Poke. Poke."

I looked back at him, with a slightly annoyed look on my face, and said, "Are you really that bored?"

He just snickered, and said, "Maaaybe." I rolled my eyes, as I finished off the last of my cone. Manish kept on gently poking me, as he finished up his chocolate devotion ice cream cone. He pulled out his phone, and pressed the home button to check the time.

When he turned it on, the first thing that I saw was his background picture of Jen, him, and I at his birthday dinner last year. We were all just so cheerful, as we celebrated Manish turning 23 years old. His smile was like a starry night; so bright, and whenever you looked at it, you just felt something so pleasant. His eyes glowed like diamonds on a ring, with happiness etched into his face like someone carved it in with a knife.

I smiled, and just thought of how sweet that night was. I hope that we can have another night that's as amazing as your birthday was. I thought to myself.

Manish unlocked his phone, looked at me, and said, "I recorded myself singing another cover, Jaya. Do you want to hear it?"

He opened his wallet to take out his earbuds, and I said, "Oh yeah? Which song?"