i. chains of moon

Takes place during Functional Recovery Arc.

...

i. chains of moon

Kanao always find the moon a calming companion during night. It gives her solace that no one can give, and the isolation she was used to receive from others. It would never judge of her actions nor reprimand her for transgression, it was just there witnessing and seeing what she was doing.

It was just a looming silvery orb reflecting the light of the sun.

Observing the moon is her passing time every night. No one would disturb her in her solitude and she always preferred silence around her rather than robust noises whenever there was a gathering of people.

She always liked it this way. It gives her a peace of mind. Nothing to think, nothing to wonder.

Nothing.

But interruption is always a given. It’s expected. Disturbance is part of life, for better or worse.

Just like the shadow that is slowly approaching her for example.

“Kanao? What are you looking outside?”

Kamado Tanjirō. She never expected it would be him.

“Ah, I see. The moon is quite beautiful tonight, isn’t it?”

Beautiful? The moon? She looked up at the shining orb. To him, probably it is. But to her, it’s just an object used to light the night. Just like the lamp use to illuminate the darkness.

She saw his shadow shifted as he sat beside her, joining her night viewing. She never moved an inch from her spot, not even turning her attention to him when he first appeared. Unmoving and still, with a pleasant smile on her face.

What was his purpose doing here? He shouldn’t have any reason to sit beside her in this night. But still, she allowed him stay. It would be improper to push him away, and he never seemed to have malice behind his actions other than to sit beside her.

“Do you know a story about the Chains of Moon?”

She blinked, slightly turning her head to him.

That action seem to be enough to continue his words. “The moon is forever chained in our world. Imprisoned and caged. The moon is scared at the sun, that’s why it ran away to the night. It always liked the darkness, that’s why the night was ideal to the moon.”

Chained? Imprisoned? Scared? There was a story like that regarding about the moon?

“I’m sure it’s not a real story. It was just a story used to tell my mother when we go to bed.”

Jealousy. Jealousy would be an appropriate reaction regarding about the boy beside her. When she was young, she never had a family to take care of her. No, that’s not accurate. She did have a family, just never a loving one. That’s right, the reason she would be jealous because of the lack of bedtime story. No one had told her a story about how the world works, let alone how to take care of herself to her bed.