Flatline

• Dedicated to Jermaine Kate Matela

"Is he going to live?" Kai asked the nurse explaining Taemin's situation. He wasn't listening, he lost her at "His heart stopped."

"We hope so. The nurses are doing all they can, we'll just have to wait and see," the nurse said. She looked at Jei, feeling bad for her. The nurse was in the room when Taemin broke up with Jei. When Jei left, she watched him as tears left his eyes. Right then, the nurse knew that Taemin didn't want to do it, but had to do it for Jei.

"Taemin, please don't die... Please, love," Jei cried into Kai's shirt. Her face was like Niagara Falls; poor shirt. She hoped the doctors would be able to bring him back to her. The nurses were doing CPR. Kai pushed Jei out of the room, trying to comfort her. He sat her down between his legs on the floor next to the door. All he could hear was the nurses yelling and the sound of Jei's cries.

Kai combed his fingers through her hair, tears rolling down his own face. They were like that for a while. People were watching them, but Kai didn't care. Jei laid her head on his shoulder, calming down a little. They were silent until they noticed it quieted down in the room. Nurses came out of the room all at once. Another nurse came out by herself and looked at them, smiling. "Taemin is fine now. Don't bother him though, he needs to rest."

They followed her back into the room and sighed in relief when they saw Taemin, looking fine, but weak and sad. Jei sat down on the chair farthest from Taemin. Kai went up to Taemin's bed, bent over to his ear, and whispered quietly, so Jei wouldn't hear, "Hey punk... Welcome back to life. You bad boy, doing things while I'm gone? Wake up already, so I can ask you for permission to be with Jei. I don't know if you noticed, but I love her."

Taemin opened one eye, looking at Kai. Kai's eyes went big. He was hoping Taemin wouldn't hear that. As Kai was about to walk away, Taemin grabbed his hand and waved him to bring his ear to him. "Make her love you back. I love her so much, but this isn't good for her. Help her get over me... I don't want her to be hurt too much when I'm gone," Taemin closed his eyes and let go of Kai's hand. Kim Jongin, you better take care of her, he thought.

Kai took a long look at Taemin before going to Jei's side. "He'll be okay, Jei," he whispered to her for what seemed to be the millionth time. He took her hand and held it, remembering Taemin's words. If Taemin lived through this, would Kai still be allowed to hold her hand? Would he ever be able to hug her, go on dates with her, or kiss her? "Do you want to leave? He'll be fine by himself for a while."

"Yeah, sure," she stared at their hands, not believing what was happening. Kai saw her and tried to pull his hand away, but she looked up at him and tightened her grip. "Let's go," she said, forcing a smile.

*TAEMIN'S POV

I watched as Kai walked up to Jei and took her hand. They exchanged words I couldn't hear because of that stupid beeping machine beside me. I can't believe I told Kai to do that... I wish I could take back my words, but that would break his heart. What's done is done, right?

Kai and Jei left. Jei didn't come to say goodbye. I guess I deserved it, I was the one who ended things. We were doing good, until I got sick. I even had a ring for her. I was planning to propose next month, but I guess that's not happening now, is it? I lay in bed, thinking about the memories Jei and I shared.

Our first date: we went on a cheap date to McDonalds and ordered every single thing on the menu for fun.

Our first kiss: it was our third date; we were at the park at night time, sitting on a tree brach with my arm around her. I stared at her while she looked around, and when she finally looked at me, I kissed her.

Our first almost-breakup: when she met my family at a family reunion, my cousins didn't like Jei. They would talk about her in front of her face, and I couldn't do anything because they were older than me. She told me that she doesn't want to be with me if my family didn't approve. Somehow, she and those same cousins, are really close now.