Chapter 9: The Caught Lie

It was another day, another life to live as the new sun rays poured through the windows

It was another day, another life to live as the new sun rays poured through the windows. Raylene groaned as she awakened on her bed. She had run back home yesterday night, despite the extreme pain she'd felt in her head. It had been difficult to walk away from him, to leave him as he probably bled to death. She knew the pain of being shot. It was unbearable, and it broke some people completely. Even though she didn't know him, it had been difficult. At night, when she'd reached home, she'd felt herself break down. As soon as she had entered the tears had entered her eyes and before she knew what was happening, they were streaming down her face.

Down on her knees, Ray had started sobbing. She didn't know why, or how, but the tears were set free. They rolled off her cheeks, cold and unstoppable as she tried to recompose herself. She needed her family. Her mom. Her dad. Her sister. Without letting herself think she'd dialled her mother's phone number. And then it rang, echoing through her ears, the vibrations passing through her hard and cold bones. Then it stopped. She'd heard ragged breathing from the other side. Then Ray had taken a deep breath,

"Mom?" She had whispered through the phone, her voice trembling. She was rewarded by her mother's uncontrollable sobs,

"Hon-" her mom had started, "You called? Ra-" but she was cut off by her step-father's voice booming through the phone, "Who is it darling?" He had asked his wife. As her mother replied, Ray had put her forehead against the cold floor, knowing her mistake. She shouldn't have called.

Then the phone was ripped from her mother's hand and a voice was speaking from the other end, "Raylene Walker. This had better be the last time you call. You are no one to us now. You will never be. So don't you dare call this house ever again, you have done enough damage as it is." He had said, his ragged voice raging from the other end. And she could reply, he had hung up. Ray remembered how her ear was only surrounded by the constant ringing as she lifted her forehead off the ground. It was loud yet hollow. Something like her soul, she'd thought.

Ray had dropped her phone with a thud and walked up to her room, her feet carrying her. She was sleep-deprived and alone. Her feelings were now locked forever in the darkest parts of her heart because they didn't matter. Never did. She had no one and from now on she wouldn't care. With that thought, Ray had fallen into a deep slumber. 

Now she woke up with a horrendous headache, the pain intensifying every second. She touched her head and found a slight painful bump on her head. Nothing new, she thought as she got off the bed and saw blood all over the white sheets. For a moment she thought it was the time of the month and her eyes widened in surprise, but then last night came back crashing down. She rubbed her head and gulped to remove the dryness in her throat. Remembering last night's events she sighed and checked the time.

6:00 A.M.

She was up early, she thought with a scoff as she took a step back and inspected her bed. She had work to do.