6. Royalty

Dear Journal,
                 What is a man if he does not know his place before a god?

- 𝓔. 𝓢𝓽𝓮𝓮𝓵𝓮
(1605)

The horses of Castle Gandalwell sensed danger.

As the group walked by the stables in the outer courtyard, the horses began galloping and whinnying restlessly, becoming unsettled at the presence of a predator.

Elias could sense the frowns and eery discomfort of everyone around him, however, he ignored them as the only feeling he was experiencing was gratification.

Now in the main courtyard, Elias's extramundane senses came alive. He could smell the freshly baked bread from the kitchen, the food that was stored in the pantry, the ale and wine from the buttery room, pigs and chickens sleeping after being fattened for slaughter, the stink of the disposed garbage, the shed where wood was stored for winter, the gun powder used to fire the cannons, molten iron being hammered on an anvil in a workshop and the smell of gold and silver in a jewelry box somewhere in the castle.

He inhaled deeply as he got his bearings. He could locate everything here, his unique mind painting the mental picture on its intellectual canvas.

Elias could steer his way through this entire courtyard and castle just by scent alone even though he had never been here before.

The few people in the main courtyard eyed Elias warily. The look of bewilderment and curiosity was evident on their faces as they watched the group enter the castle.

Once inside, they walked through what seemed like an endless hallway illuminated by blazing torch lights on either side of the cobblestone walls. Their stark, vivid shadows danced on the stone surfaces as they moved. Elias looked glanced at the statues of unrecognizable men in crowns staring at him as he passed.

Emma stole glances at him as she was escorted through the castle. Her facial expression was that of fear, both of Elias and of having returned here. She was unsure of what would happen from here on out but one thing was certain, someone or everyone would be punished... especially her.

While walking down the hallway, Elias caught a wiff of a repugnant smell followed by the sound of a piercing howl. He stopped as everyone continued walking, trying to decipher where it came from. He crouched on one knee as he realized it was beneath him. It was the smell of a beast.

He could smell the malodor of its breath and the sweat in its fur. The gutsy roars were faint but Elias was sure of its sound. It came from a cellar... no... a dungeon. The smell of the wet floor and dank air was potent, even from the hallway.

"Ugh, Sir.." the man who had come to fetch Emma said. He had heard a knight refer to him as 'gatekeeper'.

Elias rose from the floor, squinting at the ground. He could no longer hear the roars but the smell was still quite eminent. He adjusted his overcoat and resumed walking. His sharp mind was unable to decipher what it was and this troubled him.

After a series of twists and turns and a long winding flight of stone stairs, they came upon a wooden door with intricate rusted metal designs.

The door revealed a small room containing no furniture and a small window located on the left side of the wall.

"I will be back with the Prince, please wait here" the gatekeeper said before dashing off through the door they had just came through. The knights remained as they lined off to the sides with Elias and Emma between them.