23. Hello

Dear Journal,
War is not upon us; it is here.

- 𝓔𝓵𝓲𝓪𝓼 𝓢𝓽𝓮𝓮𝓵𝓮
(1605)

Damien's words felt sinister as they lingered in the air.

"W-what?" Arwen asked, his reaction emulating everyone's sudden shift in spirit.

"An army of ogres! They pillaged and destroyed Murrfell, burning it to the ground and they are heading this way as we speak." He said.

"Are you sure?" Elias pressed.

"Yes, yes. Don't you hear them?" Damien frowned.

They all fell silent, listening intently for the sound of the enemy. Sure enough, heavy stomping and iron clattering could be heard in the distance, growing louder as it inched closer to Aldavia.

"Glendor, sound the war horns." Arwen commanded to his brethren closest to him.

Glendor placed his index finger and thumb in his mouth, whistling a distinct tune that even the mockingjays could not mimic. Shortly after, the loud, thunderous sound of horns blew in the distance, setting off a sinistrous atmosphere.

"Fairies, inform Lord Calen and the elders. Tell them what we've learned and have him summon the Verals." Arwen instructed to the little creatures who had also come to lend their aid against the mock intruder.

"Are you mad? The Verals are only to be used in situations that require powers exceeding our own. Ogres are no match for us warriors. We do not even need Lord Calen to intervene." argued another half-elf.

"This illusion enchantment was casted by Lord Calen himself; one of the most powerful elves to ever walk this land and now it is broken. Do you honestly think a group of ogres could have done this? No, something else is coming. Can't you feel it, vampire?" Arwen asked, looking at Elias.

Elias's senses were nulled as he grieved over Syrus's accident; so he had not caught Damien's scent earlier. But more importantly, he had not caught the whiff of dark magic diluted throughout the air of Aldavia. It carried a trace of familiarity, reminiscent of Odelina and the very thought of her being so close rattled him to the core as they were no where near ready to take her on.

"He is right." Elias agreed, causing Annora to frown at him.

Whispering, she turned to him slightly.

"You sense something, something familiar?" She asked.

"Odelina." Elias replied.

"No, this is not her." Annora shook her head. "Is it?"

"We do not have time. Fairies, go at once! Warriors, get ready for a fight. Scatter throughout the forefront of our forest. Do not let them into our home and show no weakness; the Verals will not tolerate it." Arwen commanded.

Following his orders, everyone dispersed to their positions leaving only Elias, Annora and Arwen.

"What do you fancy we do about him?" a Sprite asked, prodding Damien with another spear.

"Vampire, is he an ally of yours?" Arwen asked seriously.

Looking at Damien, he appeared to be frightened at the little creatures pinning him down. He was far from harmless given what he had done to Baltazaar but he was alone.

"I guess." Elias answered.

"Then you are responsible for him. Sprites, stand down. He must be a magical being with an odor like that. Have him join us in this fight. We have tactics in how we do things here so stay out of our way." Arwen ordered before disappearing inside the forest.