For Now I Am...

"So?"

Ben kept looking at his wife as she was being examined by doctors. He saw her eyelids twitch, meaning that she was either awake and pretending to be asleep or soon to awaken. She was thinner and had a couple of bruises here and there, but nothing that wouldn't go away after a few weeks or so.

His uncle put his warm fatherly hand on his shoulder and he tried his best to not brush it off. He hated the unintentional dominance of that gesture.

"There are no signs of sexual assault and she seems to not have any head injuries," Luke assured him.

Ben touched his front teeth with the tip of the tongue listening patiently and pondering the man's words.

"Her memory?"

"Some shock must have made her mind regress. However, the doctors believe that she will recover her memories gradually."

I hope so.

She even looked like she did when she was around eighteen years old and it wasn't just the lack of makeup, the long hair and lighter colour. It was her face. She was so innocent and sweet. So genuinely calm.

"She might need some therapy session to cope with this... with everything actually."

Ben looked at Luke the sudden movement making his head hurt.

"Did they find any traces of drugs in her body?"

"Some sedatives. Illegal sedatives. Why?"

He sighed and looked at her opening her eyes and getting checked by the nurse. She had a faint smile and kind eyes. Ben shook his head in disbelief.

"She's... she's just too calm for someone in her situation. Did she say anything to you?"

Luke shrugged.

"I told her I would call you, her husband, and she mentioned her aunt, her brother and that she's not married. The doctors on the ambulance and I tried again when she was less frozen like an icicle and she asked again about her family... err... other family and told us that she knows no Ben Solo."

Ben raised an eyebrow, but... oh yeah. It made sense.

"She recognized me when she saw me, but indeed not as her husband. She seemed to remember me from the first time we met. She did not know my name back then."

He made a pause and cleared his throat.

"Luke, we had so many theories and I can still not figure out what happened. Where has she been? What happened to her?"

Luke took a sip of coffee, but Ben knew that the silver flask most likely had more alcohol than caffeine in it. They both had different ways of coping with Rey's disappearance.

"I know what you're thinking about, boy. But out of all the possibilities we've discussed, I do believe she'd been kidnapped and held hostage. This or she'd been on the run with a violent lover."

Ben turned his head quickly to give him a deadly stare. But Luke was no man to be fooled or easily impressed, especially not by his naughty nephew. The young man was still hurt and his wound was bleeding.

"You've said-"

"I know. But she does have bruises and marks on her wrists. It also seems that one of her ankles presents fractures, bruises and scars specific to people who have been shackled for a longer period of time. No one has ever asked for money, her organs are in place, so... but who knows?"

"Maybe she ran away on her own? To escape me and our life as a couple."

"Or maybe she's into kinky sex?"