2 - An unfamiliar place

(Kim Hyun-ae's pov)

The light... So bright, yet so soft... The gentle swift feeling of a cold morning breeze, caressing my warm skin. Cars honking and mixed up noises from the people walking down The streets. Such a calming feeling.

My eyelids slowly opening, feeling the exhaustion like a hit to my face. Being blinded by the morning sunlight peaking in through the blinds, didn't exactly help.

I sat up in the bed, stretching my arms over my head and as far they could. A yawn escaped my mouth, and I looked around the dark motel room, I had no idea what this unfamiliar place were, but I must have been so tired when checking in late at night, to actually register my whereabouts.

The feeling of safety had been long gone for as long as I could remember, so it didn't matter that much to me, that I couldn't remember where I was.

Turning on the small, sad joke of a tv, zooming through the channels to find something to have as background noise, I tried the landing what to do next. I threw The Remote On The night stand, and pulled a hand through my long dark hair. It was starting to get a little greasy, so I decided to take a shower.

My stomach growled as the water washed down my naked body, taking all the bad feelings down the drain with it. I started to remember yesterday, as a successful day of stealing from unknowing people in broad daylight.

Because that was what I had become... I pickpocket and a liar. A girl on the run from something much bigger and much more dangerous than first anticipated.

My burner phone laid next to my hand gun on the night stand beside me. I sighed as I tucked on the chain hanging around my neck, and fished out the old compass from under my shirt. I put it on my palm and studied it closer, as I had done so many times before.

What is so special about a broken old compass?

And why was it reason enough to hunt down and attempt murder on someone of your own blood?

Questions left to be answered...

A Knock on the door, broke my train of thought and made me blood run cold. I grabbed my gun and hid the compass back on the inside of my shirt, before inching slowly towards the door.

I tried to keep calm while holding my breath, as I approached the door, where another knock came from.

It can't be... Not already... It's only been one night... A few hours...

With my free hand that wasn't clasping the gun tightly, I cautiously slid the tiny metal disk from the peep hole and took a hesitant look through it.

I finally started to breath again, feeling a wave of relief as I opened the door. The guy from the reception smiled politely as I stood in the door opening.

"Hi, sorry if I am disturbing you, Miss. I forgot to ask you when you checked in last night, if you would like to enjoy breakfast at the hotel? We can also provide room service from 6 AM to 11 PM," The young guy said, sounding a little too excited to be genuine. He was clearly just doing his job.

"Oh... I'm not sure... Let me talk to my boyfriend when he wakes up, and I will come down to let you know for tomorrow morning," I answered him with a sweet smile, before excusing myself to close the door.

The boyfriend thing was a safety precaution I had decided to take. It was easy when the planning was done correctly.

1. Travel light. Tell the receptionist that your "boyfriend" is parking the car and will carry the luggage up when he is done.

2. Use phrases and valid excuses such as "I will need to consult my
Boyfriend first", "He is still sleeping", "he is in the shower" or "He's out"

3. Have your story straight if anyone starts to small talk. It's easier slipping up if you don't have a plan.

An hour later

I slipped a hoodie over my head, found a face mask and put on a pair of non-subscription glasses. Before leaving my room, I made sure that the compass was secure under my shirt, as well as checking I had my wallet, phone and key card.

As I got to the ground floor and stepped out the elevator, I quickly scanned the reception. The receptionist was typing on the computer, a few workers walked around with towels or trays etc.

Then I spotted a guy, who looked around my age or a little older. He was taller than me with a muscular body, and was standing close by the entrance, looking

Perfect.

I walked straight towards him and stopped right beside him. Tucking on the sleeve of his sweatshirt, I got his attention. He looked down on my face, and raised an eyebrow.

I got up on my tippy toes and whispered in his ears. "Could you perhaps pretend to be my boyfriend real quick? Just till I get out of here and around the corner of the building? My ex-boyfriend works here."

I looked up at him, as I again was standing normally. He nodded and looked around the room, before kissing the top of my head and putting an arm over my shoulders. I saw the receptionist take note of us as we went out the doors.

The plan had been successfully executed.

"I'm Jaehyun by the way. Your pretend boyfriend," he said calmly as we walked down the sidewalk. His arm was still around my shoulders.

"I'm... Hawoon..." I lied. "Thank you for being my pretend boyfriend," I made him laugh quietly.

We came to a stop just around the corner. "Where are you about to go? I'm heading to a mini-market," He looked at me, awaiting for my answer. His tone had been calm and casual, nothing creepy or something like that.

"The market too actually. I missed breakfast, because my ex boyfriend was there," I answered, looking around, trying to calm myself down.

He must have sensed something was up, because he took my hand and made me look at him. "How about we go to the market and then stop by a café to get something to eat? I slept in and missed breakfast too," I could spot the subtle worry in his tone.

It made me a little suspicious... Not because I thought he had ulterior motives, but because I wasn't used to someone caring for me. I had been on my own for so long.

"So? Are you coming?" He asked, as his thumb gentle brush over the back of my hand. I looked up at him and raised my shoulders, "sure, why not?"

Never trust a stranger... But keep the possibility open for allies.

(Narrator's pov)

Ah yes... Indeed, Hyun-Ae... One shall never trust a stranger... Especially when that stranger carries secrets of their own...

As Hyun-Ae and her new acquaintance walked down the street, with each their minds in a far off place... Another acquaintance of Hyun-ae walked in the door to the hotel, she left only minutes ago...

A young handsome man walked up to the receptionist's counter, and as he leaned onto it with a sleek manner, his lips curved into an almost triumphant smirk. "I would like a room... Please..."

———— (To be continued) ————

Hello! I hope you enjoyed the first real chapter of this book! Please feel free to comment and come with ideas etc. I will try my best to write this story when I have time, but please be patient!
Much love, Miss Idol 22