(20) - Snowball Fight

❃.✮:▹○◃:✮.❃

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

"Where are we even going?"

The soft voice of Grove was like a knife cutting through the thick, tense silence. We had been walking all day long, without a specific destination. The young girl was looking up at me through her long lashes, holding onto my left hand, while I held my weapon with the other one. For some reason she had refused to let go, no matter what I had told her.

"We need to find more food."

Easton turned around to look at us, before facing the front once again. Yesterday we had been able to refill our water bottles, but we were running low on food. Especially since we were even more people now. Grove was softly humming while swinging our hands back and forth.

"Tesla?"

There was amusement in Chopps voice, as he stopped walking behind of us. Turning around I didn't expect something to smash into my face, though it didn't hurt at all. Out of shock I let go of Groves hand and my machete. I wiped the remaining snow off my face while the others started laughing. Crouching down I formed my own snowball, without the others noticing. Smirking I took aim at Viscera, whose laughter quickly died out.

"Snowball fight!"

The amusement in Eastons voice made a satisfied smile appear across my face. In seconds the air was thick with snowballs so compacted that several felt solid and icy. The ones from the fresh fallen flakes burst open on impact, showering crystalline fragments that glint in the wintry light. Without waiting any longer I grabbed Groves hand and pulled her behind a tree. From there we started attacking our other friends.

"You know what I would really love to do?"

Grove glanced over at me with a smile, then quickly faced our friends. She dodged a snowball and then continued.

"I want to travel to the ocean with all of you. We could have even more fun than now. Seeing the ocean was always one of the things I wanted to do. Just imagine the water sparkling in the sun. Families enjoying the warm, sunny day. To be honest all of you kinda are a second family to me."

My heart clenched at her innocent, pure smile. Easton suddenly fell to the ground as we all burst out in laughter. He sat up with slightly red cheeks while dusting the snow off of his clothes.

"What a dork."

I whispered under my breath, so only Grove could hear. The girl started to giggle out of pure happiness, something we hadn't heard in years. It was as if the pure sound lifted a veil from our tired eyes, making a fire ignite inside of us. The warmth lifted the tension from the arena off of our shoulders, giving us room to breathe. Sadly it seemed that we weren't the only ones attracted to it.

"Chopp!"

The desperation in my broken voice made everyone focus on the young boy, standing at a good distance from us. The 12 year old turned around to also notice the other tribute standing right behind him. Kelsi Skyroot was raising the Kukri into the air, aiming for the child in front of her. Despair was written all over her face as the sun was reflected in the silver of her bloodied weapon.

Before anyone could react she suddenly fell to the ground. The girl from Eight stopped moving as a booming gunshot rang out around us. Everyone of us was frozen in shock. Viscera was the first to move. She lowered her blowgun and walked over to the trembling boy. Shortly after we all followed her. She was kneeling beside the other tribute and closed her eyes, that were open wide in shock. A tiny dart was stuck inside of her throat. Silent prayers slipped from Visceras mouth as she closed her eyes to escort another lost life into heaven, something I didn't believe in.

I sat down in front of Chopp, whose eyes were still glued on the unmoving girl. His lips were trembling and his face was ghostly pale. Tears started to stream down his face. His whole body was shaking violently. It hurt to see the boy in this state. I thightly hugged him, whispering in his ear with a soft voice, trying to comfort him as good as I could.

Easton came to a hald beside us, making eye contact with me. He laid my machete down on the ground, before walking over to Grove. The little girl was staring at the ground, when she was also enveloped in a hug.

For once we had been able to forget time and space. No one had cared that we were inside the arena, supposed to be fighting for our lifes. We just wanted to have a break from all of this blood and death, but it seemed that we weren't even granted this little wish. The more I thought about it, the angrier I got. Not at the other tributes but at the president. How could he do something this cruel to such young people. All of this needed to change.

❃.✮:▹○◃:✮.❃

Happy Halloween guys! Thank you all for reading this far, it really means the world to me. I hope you enjoy the rest of your day c: