(21) - Spectator

❃.✮:▹○◃:✮.❃

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

Chopp hadn't been the same since yesterday. The boys usual cheerfulness had completely vanished. His forest green eyes were always focused on the ground, appearing to be devoid of any emotion. Grove tried her best to cheer her friend up, but to no avail. He wasn't even listening to the petite girl, as we all sat in a circle around a campfire. We had been able to capture a snow rabbit in one of my snares. The animal was our only resource for food. We all were craving for something to eat, but we had to ration the meat.

Easton took the now cooked meat out of the fire, handing it to our two youngest allies. Grove gratefully took a few bites, but Chopp refused to even look at the food. I took a careful look at our surroundings, while Viscera tried to persuade him to eat. The fire was easily visible in the darkness of the night. My body tensed and the grip on my machete tightened, when a snap pierced trough the peacefully quiet forest.

Easton seemed to be the only one, who had also heard the sound of the twig snapping. He also reached for his serrated sword, alarming our other allies, who fell into silence. The only noise was the sizzling of the flames in front of me. Viscera pulled our two youngest allies closer to herself, in an attempt to shield their backs, while we waited for something to happen. Just as I was about to relax my tense posture I noticed the quiet rustle of bushes behind me. I made eye contact with Easton, who was sitting on the opposite side of me.

When his eyes suddenly shifted to something behind me, I instantly knew that there was some kind of threat. Without hesitation I turned around, blindly swinging my Machete. That's when I noticed the boy from 12, Rooker Nightforge. The small knife in his hand fell to the floor with a soft thumb as the tribute soon followed. The already familiar sound of the gun rang out around the arena. The boy looked like he hadn't eaten since the beginning of the games. The huge gash on his upper body soaked the snow underneath him with blood.

"Let's get moving. The fire only reveals our location to the other tributes."

At first I didn't even recognize my own voice. It seemed to hold not even a tiny bit of emotion in it, as I stood up. While biting my lip I extinguished the fire. Had I already become so used to killing that it didn't even faze me anymore? I wasn't sure, but maybe I was just still in a state of shock.

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇Finnick⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

Everyone else in the room had already either gone to sleep or retreated to their own floors to watch their tributes in private, expect me and Dean. He intensely focused on the screen that was split up in the middle. On the left side it showed the tributes from my own District. They had been sleeping, until the gunshot had woken them up. On the right side we saw the alliance of Tesla walking trough the silent pine forest, before they once again came to a halt, deciding to rest for the day. Today marked the end of the tenth day of the Hunger Games.

My heart clenched as I watched Tesla. The girl was silently playing with her necklace, while staring up into the night sky. Her two boxer braids were slowly becoming loose. Some stray strands hung into her tanned face. The wound on her right cheek had already become a small scar. Her relaxed expression merged into a frown. She appeared to be in immense pain, as her hand tightly gripped her shirt. The light of the anthem illuminated the whole arena, showing the face of the boy that had lost his life today. Even if Tesla hadn't killed him, he would have still died sooner or later. The boy was starving and hadn't been able to find any recourse of water for the last few days. His death was to be expected.

Sighing, I stood up, and decided to get some sleep in order to be able to watch the games tomorrow morning once again, with my full attention. Though there was this unsettling feeling in the pits of my stomach. Something told me that tomorrow wouldn't be as usual. Even if she would loose her life in there, I wouldn't be able to help her. After all I was just an spectator, forced to watch kids and teens that were killing each other.

❃.✮:▹○◃:✮.❃