Chapter 7

Max woke up, tired and sore from the events of yesterday. It had been crazy to deal with all that shit. He hoped Nikki wasn't feeling as sore. Max was so deep in thought that he was startled at the sound of a helicopter overhead. He shrugged it off as one of those helicopters that passed overhead camp all the time, but it got louder, and closer. Max narrowed his eyes, and got up. This was odd.

                                        Max went outside to see that everyone else had the same idea, and was sitting out there, confusion plain to see on everyone's faces. Max stared as the helicopter landed. Two men walked out of it, looking tired.

                                         "Mr. Campbell! and you brought a friend?!" David exclaimed. Max groaned. Dipper got out of the tent behind Max and gasped. Max raised an eyebrow.

                                                           "Grunkle Stan!" Dipper exclaimed, running towards the stranger. The stranger's eyes lit up, and he smiled. Mabel pushed her way through the crowd, and ran to Stan too. Everyone was surprised. Max exchanged a surprised look with Neil before shrugging. He didn't know what the heck was exactly going, but it didn't really matter to him. He was kind of bitter though. It's not like any of Max's family cared enough about him to come see him at camp. Besides, the area that camp was in was weird.  Max had never heard of somebody avoiding questions about their town, but David and Gwen wouldn't answer his questions. This was suspicious. 

                                                          "Hey, dude. Are you ok?" Neil asked, pulling Max out of his deep thinking. Max was startled for a moment before calming down. He nodded. He was fine.

                                                                      "Maaaaax!" Nikki ran over. Max smiled at her as she bounced up and down over and over again. Nikki beamed at him. "Max! How are you feeling today?" Nikki asked. Max chuckled. He determined to tell her the truth.

                                                "To be honest....not the best. I'm pretty sore from yesterday's.....you know...fight." Max admitted. Nikki looked at him sympathetically. Max saw Neil look at him and Nikki, surveying the situation. Neil then looked away, a quietly resigned look on his face. Max had a sudden realization. He started shaking.

                                                                 Neil liked Nikki too. Neil also knew that Max liked Nikki. Max felt a sinking feeling in his stomach. Max shot them a quick smile, and walked away. As soon as he was out of the area, he ran to the bathroom place and threw up. Max panted as he wiped off the excess stuff on his mouth. He sat there for a few minutes before calming down enough to go a fake happiness in civilization. Nikki and Neil were talking to Dipper and Mabel when he approached, so Max went away from that situation, and found himself in his tent.

                              Max went over to the journal and picked it up. It had some interesting pages. There was a lot of spells, enchanted objects, curses and useful information in this old book. Max decided to try and read it. So far, Dipper had only let his read a few pages of it. Max picked it up and started reading it.  He was impressed, despite not wanting to be. This guy had done some serious research.

                                       There was a page on spells of how to fix yourself, kill yourself (Max skimmed these), and make someone love you. Dipper burst in the tent. Max, startled, dropped the journal. He quickly caught it. Dipper gasped, and snatched the journal from him.

                                                    "NO." Dipper said sternly, anger and fear in his eyes. Max was mad for a moment before sighing in defeat. Dipper looked awkward. "Um...David wants you too come to the campfire." Dipper offered. Max stared at the ground.

                                  "Fine." Max got up and followed Dipper to the place where they always held the night campfire activities. Dipper went over to the friend group. Max hesitated for a moment. He didn't want to face that humiliation of feelings again. It had hurt. Max also kind of blamed himself. He'd been ignoring Neil lately, giving him time to observe the way people acted, especially Max. Neil knew enough now to blackmail Max. The thought made him shiver with anxiety. Dipper gave him a concerned look. Max pulled himself together and joined the group.

                                                "Hey, what's been up with you today Max? I haven't seen you all day!" Mabel queried, looked concerned and confused. Max chuckled quietly. He knew he wasn't exactly fine, so he would bounce around the question.

                                                          "I'm sure you guys have been busy all day! What did David say for the camp activity again?" Max expertly distracted them from the question with another question. It worked. Only Dipper had a dark glint in his eye when he looked at Max. Dipper was a smart guy, Max knew. He couldn't hide much from Dipper,so when Dipper confronted him later that night, he couldn't lie. "I haven't exactly been fine, Dip." Max admitted.

                                             "What's wrong, Max? You know you cant lie to me...I'm smarter than I look. You know that." Dipper said, sitting down against a nearby tree. Max sighed and slid until he was sitting, his back against a tree trunk.

                                                       "I like Nikki. I don't want to tell her...because I like the friendship I have with her, and I don't want to ruin that in case she doesn't like me back. Today....I saw Neil look at me and Nikki, and then look away. He knows. What's worse...he likes her too." Max admitted. Dipper sucked in a sharp breath.

                                                         "Dude....that's tough. Here's what your going to do about it. You are a confident person, Max. Just go up to her and tell her how you feel. Worse you can get is a no. If I'm being honest...I think she likes you too, Max." Dipper advised. Max nodded. Harder than it sounds, but he could summon the courage.

                                                         "Thanks, Dip. I owe you one. Also, don't you dare tell the gang about this." Max said. Dipper snorted. Max glared. "I SWEAR, DIPPER-" Dipper laughed.

                                             "Max, chill. You know I'm your friend. I won't tell. Now...please tell me how you came to like NIKKI of all people in the world" Dipper teased. Max punched him lightly. The two walked back to camp, happy with the resolution to the plan.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                    "Perfect." The boy said, staring at the pill in his hands. He grabbed the drink and put it next to the pill.

                                                              "I'll give it too Max tomorrow.....let's see how he likes pain and somewhat loneliness."