Ch. 33 - New Beginning

Season three

"You've got a cigarette?" 

Daryl handed Evan the cartoon, "The lighter's in there." She nodded as she opened the pack and took out a cigarette. Lighting it up, she took a drag as she leaned her back against the wall. Blowing out the smoke, she nudged Daryl with the tip of her shoe, "Merle's interacting well with the others." Her brother hummed as a reply while he got up to his feet. Merle was helping with the weapons, making sure they had enough ammo and there weren't any issues. Daryl took the offered smoke from Evan and he took a drag before he spoke up, "Y'know... Something keeps botherin' me... How ya didn't say goodbye yesterday... Just, hopped on the bike n' left." Evan sighed as she turned to face him, "There wasn't a reason to say goodbye. We ain't gonna say goodbye ever and you know that." 

"Evan." The twins turned their attention to Rick who made his way to the two. He sighed as he halted in front of the two, "Look, I know I said you're gonna be with us, but Carl's acting off. Really off. Can you go with Hershel and the others?" Evan glanced at her brother as she sighed, "Alright. Let me finish my cigarette first though, do ya need help with loading?" Rick shook his head as he readjusted his hold on his rifle, "No, we're done. Thank you." Evan nodded as their leader walked away, everyone was getting ready to take their positions. Evan took one last drag from her smoke before she handed it to Daryl, "Alright, I'mma say bye to Merle, then I'm gonna head off with Hershel." Daryl nodded as he flicked the ashes off the cigarette, "Alright... Ya ain't gonna say goodbye again?" Evan smiled as she shook her head, "Nope." She kissed her brother's forehead before she walked away, heading towards Merle. The eldest Dixon brought his face away from the scope of an automatic as he smiled slightly, "Ready to blow some shit, baby sister?" Evan chuckled as she shook her head, "Nah, I'm gonna go with the backup. Rick wants me on babysitting duty." Merle shrugged as he slung the strap of the rifle over his shoulder, "Well, how about a hug for your old pal Merle?" The younger of the two rolled her eyes as she gave him a brief hug, "Go kick some ass." 

Evan sat on the hood of the car, squinting slightly as she tried to see through the trees. There were explosions, gunfire, automatics. Evan closed her eyes and painted the picture in the back of her head. There was going to be a lot of damage, she knew that, but it was nothing they couldn't fix. A part of her wished she was there, fighting alongside her family instead of babysitting and watching over the elderly man. She could bet that Merle was in his element now, re-living moments of his days in the Marines. She wished she could've seen him in action, or even better, she wished she was by his side, shooting alongside him.

Her eyes snapped open as she slid from the hood of the car and quickly put back up the branches they had prepared for camouflage, covering the car, making it look abounded. Hershel got out of the car and leaned on the top, taking aim, Carl following. Evan knocked a bolt into place, it sounded like whoever was approaching was alone, two guns and a crossbow would scare them away. And she turned out to be right, a boy, somewhere around Beth's age jumped out from behind some bushes, fright clear on his features. Evan raised her crossbow and took aim, glaring at the young man, "Hand the gun over, son." The boy nodded frantically as he twirled the gun around his finger so he was holding the barrel, the handle towards Evan, "S-sure, take it." Evan reached her hand, ready to take the gun before the boy fell to the ground, a gunshot printed directly between his eyes. Evan looked over her shoulder to see Carl lowering his gun, breathing heavily. Hershel exchanged a look with the blonde woman, clearly equally as shocked. Carl had no reason to do what he did, but he still did it.