Chapter 3

Jack sat down in front of his computer, setting up a recording. His head had been pounding all day; he felt dissociated. Despite this, he wanted to record the first episode in the latest of FNAF series.
It had been two months since Jack had been diagnosed with DID. Since his last psychiatrist appointment, he'd worked with Chase and Schneep to map his inner world as best as possible, so that no one, especially Jack, would get lost again.
Chase remained the alter Jack communicated with the most. He and the American became very close, and Jack wasn't sure how he'd ever lived without him. He supposed he really hadn't.
Throughout all of this, Jack hadn't once caught a glimpse of his third alter, Jameson Jackson. Chase affectionately referred to him as JJ, but didn't allow for much conversation about him. Neither did Schneep. They were both oddly protective of the unknown Brit, Schneep even more so. While he wanted to be respectful to them all, especially Jameson, Jack couldn't help but be curious. He also had to admit that he also felt a little uneasy at the thought of an unknown alter in his body.
He put on his headphones and began to go through his laundry list of checking and double checking his microphone, camera, computer, and everything in between. When he was finally satisfied that everything was working properly, he pulled up the game.
He found his hand was absentmindedly stroking his beard and frowned, stopping the motion. His headache worsened, eyes fluttering as his head slowly went back against his chair.

When he woke up, he was in the inner world. He'd gotten rather good at recognizing it. He got up from his couch and rubbed his face with a sigh. Chase must have fronted.
It was times like these that Jack was most frustrated with the switches that happened every so often. He knew that none of them had any control of it, including Jack himself, but it was getting harder to get through a normal routine. Especially with work.
"Jack!" Chase's voice sounded as he came into the living room. "Been a while. It's so rare that we get to talk like this."
Jack looked at him in surprise. "Nice to see you too, Chase, I- I thought you fronted, to be honest."
The American straightened his flat brimmed hat and came to sit on the couch, shaking his head. "Nah. I was close, but I'm here now. I figured you'd taken full consciousness again; I was pushed to the back."
Jack sat down beside him with a frown. "Well, Dr. Schneep, then." he concluded.
"Jack?" The thick German accent startled them both. "How have you been, I have missed you! I-" As Dr. Schneeplestein entered the room, all three alters turned pale. "Chase?" Dr. Schneep said in some surprise. "You are both here? This is impossible, ja?"
Jack's eyes were fixed on the American, who was sitting there numbly. After a moment he looked up at Dr. Schneep. "He must've fronted."
"No." the doc said instantly. He shook his head. "No."
Jack looked between them both.
"He must have." Chase repeated.
"No!" The doctor looked quite incensed.
Chase slowly rose from the couch. "Maybe I should-"
Dr. Schneep looked up quickly, gaze fierce. "I'll get him." His tone left no room for debate, and before the other two could open their mouths he was gone.
Jack grabbed Chase's arm, forcing him to meet his gaze. "Talk." he demanded.
Chase was silent for several moments. When he finally spoke, he didn't look at Jack. "JJ fronted."
"Jameson?" Jack shook his head. "You said he never fronts."
"He doesn't." Chase's voice was taut. "He hasn't in years. And it's not safe for him to be."
"Chase." Jack took a deep breath. "Who is he? You never talk about him."
The American sighed. "We're... protective." he replied.
"I know that, but he's a part of me. I need to know about him. Please."
Chase took off his hat, sitting back against the couch and running his hand through his hair. "He's a trauma holder." he said quietly. "Your trauma. He keeps it safe from you. Everything from when you were little that... that you don't remember. Because of him."
Jack chewed his lip silently. "I thought you were created first."
"I was. Well... I guess we were sorta created at the same time. Your trauma caused you to react in two different ways. Me and JJ. we're two different forms of protection. I'm hands on, JJ works through amnesia. He has... all of your traumatic memories."
Jack shifted slightly, a small frown on his face. "Dr. Jeffrey said that a child had to undergo severe trauma to develop DID. Abuse."
Chase didn't reply.
The Irishman looked up at him, eyes clouded with confusion and sadness. "How does Jameson handle that?"
"He was made to." Chase said. "But... that's why he never fronts. He has all your memories, even the ones I don't. It keeps us safe, but the person it's made him..." Chase trailed off, shaking his head.
"He's mute." he admitted, meeting Jack's eyes for the first time. "There's no physical reason for it, Schneep's checked. It's just psychological. He uses sign language. I know a little, but it's mostly the doc that talks with him. He and JJ have a special bond. That's why he's trying to bring him back right now."
"What triggered him to front in the first place?" Jack asked.
Chase just sighed. "I don't know. We try our best to keep him safe, but he's never done something like this. He's so far back in our subconscious most of the time that he's almost dormant."
"You're really worried about him, aren't you?"
The American nodded, running his hand through his hair once more. "It could've been worse. We're home, right?"
"Yeah." Jack replied.
"Good."