Chapter 6

"Do you know why he's like this?" Jack asked Schneep. Both of them were sitting in the dining room; JJ had fallen asleep peacefully for the first time in weeks, and they were discussing what to do next.
"Aggressive?" Dr. Schneep frowned. "I can assume. He and JJ are strikingly similar. Both are trauma holders, developed early on. However, they reacted to this trauma very differently. Think of it as ze, ah, fight or flight response, ja? JJ was damaged internally. His mind is..." The doctor trailed off, looking upset. After a moment, he cleared his throat and continued. "His response was to run, to retreat into himself and hide. Anti, on ze other hand, responded with anger, with hate. He could not harm his abuser, so he turned his pain on himself. I suppose, and this is a little bit of speculation, that he thinks JJ could have done something more? Like it was his fault, ja? So his wish for harm extends to him as well."
"That... explains a lot." Jack said quietly, sighing. "We have to help him. I know we can, I've researched it. Persecutors don't have to hurt forever."
Schneep pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. "Perhaps. I am not so sure this is ze best plan, however."
Jack looked up in surprise. "Doc-"
"He hurt JJ." Schneep interrupted. "If he can heal, I will aid this. But do not expect me to do it gladly."

"Jack." Anti's voice sounded behind the Irishman. "What are you d-doing?" It glitched on the final word.
He looked up at the alter, mentally filing away his current appearance, and gave a small smile. "Just planning my schedule," he said. "Trying to figure out when to upload, when to record."
Anti gave a slow nod.
"I haven't seen you in a few days. I was looking for you."
The persecutor looked unsure. "I don't... I usually stay away from these parts of the inner world. Why did you... need me?"
Jack closed up his work and moved it aside, patting the seat next to him on the couch. The alter glanced at him warily, then slowly sat down beside him.
"I don't want to scare you away." Jack prefaced, holding his hands out in front of him.
Anti's eyes narrowed, body continuing to glitch and shudder. He said nothing.
Jack took a deep breath. "I just want to help you. Honestly. Tell me how to help you."
The alter scoffed. "Help me? You can't. You don't even remember what we went through, let alone understand how to deal with it." His eyes were almost spiteful.
"JJ does." Jack said suddenly, looking up. "He knows everything, you've said so yourself."
Anti's eyes turned black. "And what would you have me do?" he asked. "Pour out my feelings to that worthless mute?"
Jack's temper flared. "I'm trying to help you, damn it! But if you think I'm going to sit here and let you insult the best person in this system-"
"Okay." Anti cut him off. His lip was curled slightly, but he nodded. "I'll... talk to him."
The Irishman looked taken aback, but he nodded as well.
"He'll be terrified when he sees me, though." Anti continued.
Jack gave a small smile despite himself. "You underestimate him."

"Absolutely not." Schneep's voice was firm, body tense. He was sitting on JJ's
bed, hand laced in the Brit's.
"Schneep-"
"I told you I would help, but this is too far. You saw what he did to JJ, and now you want to bring him back?" The German looked angry.
"This is how we help." Jack insisted. "And anyway, it's not your decision."
Both men looked towards JJ, Schneep squeezing his hand tightly. "Jameson, you don't have to do this, it-" He broke off as JJ pulled his hand away, beginning to sign.
Schneep's face dropped.
When JJ was finished, he looked between the two questioningly. Jack was first to answer. "Of course we'll stay with you. We wouldn't leave you alone."
The doctor looked away and said nothing. The Brit reached back and grabbed his hand, bringing it up to his lips and kissing it softly. His eyes begged his doctor to trust him.
"Doc, you know he'll be perfectly safe. We'll both be right here." Jack put in. He met JJ's eyes. "But I really think this could help. JJ... knows. He could understand much better than we ever could. Chase too."
The Brit nodded, lacing his fingers once more through his doctor's hand and clasping his other one over it.
The German shook his head, looking at the ground. "The second he gets too close-"
"He won't." Jack said firmly. "But agreed."