Chapter 39:Keep Me Waiting

10 minutes until showtime. My make up was being down by my beauty team and my hair was already done. I was sitting in the chair, rehearsing the two songs that I was singing tonight. I was so overwhelmed. There were a bunch of people outside, screaming my name waiting to see me. My beauty team had finished my makeup and left the room, leaving me to get dressed. I looked in the mirror, seeing myself. I looked beautiful. I had never seen myself look this dolled up before. I was really about to do this, by myself. The last time I performed was at the Talent Contest with Devante almost a year ago. This was my first time in a long time that I was performing by myself. I had to 5 minutes before showtime and I had to get dressed. Just as I was getting up and taking off my robe, there was a knock on the door. "J, you ready. It's almost show time" I heard Lashawn say as he walked in my room. I gasped. I was half naked. "Sorry, I didn't know you were getting dressed, I'll wait outside" he said. "No, wait" I said stopping him before he opened the door. What in the world Jamila. "Stay, I kinda needed a pep talk before I go on" I said wrapping my arms around myself. "Alright" he said sitting on the couch. I nodded as I grabbed my outfit starting to put it on. "So, what's going on" he said shifting on the couch. I knew exactly why. I took it to my advantage. I needed a distraction from the nerves I had. He was here and he was obviously somewhat turned on. I put my clothes on the chair, walking over to the couch and sitting next to him. "I'm just scared you know, it's my first performance in awhile and I don't want to mess it up" I said, playing with the hem of his shirt. I could feel him shift again. I giggled. "I just need something to get me straight" I said kissing on his neck. "J, whatchu doing. You gotta go on soon"he said as I wrapped my hands around him. "J, come on now" he breathed out. "Come on baby, I need a little pick me up. And I know you can give it to me" I said straddling his lap. He brushed my lip against his. "Come on, I know you want to"I said. He smashed his lips into mine. He got up from the couch, wrapping my lags around his waist. He carried me to the bathroom. Let's just say, they should make dressing rooms soundproof. For privacy reasons of course. "Thank you baby, just what I needed" I said touching up my makeup. "It's all good, we can probably do this every night" he said leaning down and kissing my neck. I giggled, "I might just take you up on that" I said getting up, pecking his lips before quickly getting dressed in my outfit.

 I giggled, "I might just take you up on that" I said getting up, pecking his lips before quickly getting dressed in my outfit

Once I was finished, we left and headed backstage. I stood on the side of the stage, seeing all the people in the audience. My dancers were getting ready, the sound guy was fixing my inner ear. Lashawn was watching, biting his lip. He was gonna make me do some things to him. It was time to go on and the nerves were really getting to me. A small thing popped in my head, something Devante would say when we performed in high school. You got this superstar. I nodded to myself as I ran on stage, seeing all those people cheering my name. In about 30 minutes, I danced like I never had before, I sang like I never had before. I was free. I loved the buzz of being on stage. People screaming my name. It wasn't Devante Carter and Jamila Stevens. It was Jamila Stevens and Jamila Stevens only. After the show, Lashawn was the first person I saw. I jumped into his arms as he spun me around. "You did it baby" he whispered in my ear. I smiled to myself. "You getting a little something tonight" he said, I felt the smirk on his face. He put me down as my beauty team pulled me into my dressing room, helping me get dressed for my afterparty.