Chapter one

This is a story about me. Well my name is Lyra Welton. I am eight years old. I have brown hair with green eyes like the forest. I do not live in a world where you live in. I live where every person have a creature. It is like your soul. We call them Demons. It is like an animal but it can chance from one animal to another one. But only the kids Demons can chance from one to another. The adults Demons stay in the from when the kids turn into an adult. They call it 'your Demon is setting down'.

My Demon can be any animal he want to be but only if it is necessary. Most of the time he is in a weasel form. I call him Pam. My uncle's name is Prof. Rebrant. He is the like the owner of the High Academy. I don't have my parent to look after me so he kind of took me in. Well if I had parents I don't know about them. His Demons name is Shasa. She is a tiger. Well let's begin to tell the story.

"You can catch me Kyla. I am to fast for you." I shout and kept running.

"Oh yes I will." I heard him scream from a few steps back.

Kyla is my friend. She is the only friend I have. No he isn't he is just the kid I hang out with. My real friend and the one how is always their for me is Pam. Well he is my soul so he likes me a lot and I like him a lot as well. I don't know what I would have done without him.

Me and Kyla ran and came to a stop in front of the castle gates. "This place is big Lyra."

"Yeah I know. Come let's go up."

Kyla and I walk to the roof up the stairs. When we reach their we walk and talk while walking on the roof. We sat on the roofs end and look down.

"You know more and more kids are disappearing. Are it is only the orphan kids." Kyla said as we look over the roof. Pam and Olivia (Kyla Demon.) They sitting next to us.

"Lyra you get down from that roof and get in here." I heard a woman's voice from my bedrooms window

"Coming." I yeld back at her.

"They are turning you into a lady." Kyla said.

"Hey you said that I am a lady. No one can make me a lady." I said white my arms crossed

"Hehe. You should go before they come get you down." Kyla said.

"Ok see you later Kyla. Come on Pam." I said as I walk back up the roof. I walk into my room to see Haris standing their. She is probably the one how shout at me.

"Sit down." She said. I sit down and she start combing my hair. When she was done me and Pam walk through the castle. "Come on Pam. We must move a bit faster. I don't want to to get in trouble with my uncle." I said as we walk into a room. "Don't worry Lyra. We won't get into trouble." Pam said. As we walk into the room their was a big table with a lot of chairs around them. On the table was a telescope. I look into it and see Pam face was huge. I stick my tong out and he just laugh and did the same. Only smaller than mine. I laugh. I heard footsteps. "Quick Lyra in here." I heard Pam said. I followed him into a closet and closed the door. Now Pam was a bird.

I heard the door open and saw 2 men and their Demons.

"It is probably Prof . Gordon. The head of this place." I heard Pam said in his softy voice.

"And why are they alone?" I ask as softly as I can.

"Probably talking about your uncle's trip to the Pole." Pam said

"Yeah it is probably that let's listen a little." I said.

Me and Pam. Stand in quiet to listen what they are talking about. Well I was standing still. Pam was hovering.

"Do you think we should let Pro. Rebrant go alone to the Pole to find the dust." I heard a voice said.

"Dust??" I ask softly.

"Dust is like space dust but this dust is different. I is so that the older people Demons can change like the children's Demons. But it can only happen if your Demon is next to you." Pam explained.

"So that is why my uncle is going to the Pole." I said.

I listen more. We should probably get some people to spy on them so that he does the job right." A different man said.

I heard the door open where I was standing. I hold my breath in stood still. He took a jack out without noticing me. I heard them talking more before the door closed.

I look through a hole in the closet and see man sitting on a chair with the whisky tray in front of him. He took something out of his jacket and pour some with pounder in the bottle and stood up and walk out.

I stood in silence. My thoughts where more at the dust and the powder the man through in the whisky bottle.

"Lyra, Lyra. We need to go. We need to leave before someone see us." I heard Pam said.

I ignored him and stood silent. The door open. "Lyra, look it is Shasa." Pam said.

"Oh no uncle." I said.

My uncle walk into the room and walk to the telescope. He put something in it and sat near the whisky bottle. He took a glass and pore some in before he could take a sip I jump out of the closet and ran to him. Knockin the class out of his hand and at the same time I yeld NO!!!

"Lyra, what are you doing here?" My uncle says.

"Don't drink it, it is poisoned." I said.

"How do you know."

"I saw a man pour some pounder in it."

"Stop spying on people."

We heard footsteps and voices. He turn back to me and said "Go back in their and keep your eyes and ears open." I storm into the closet shouting the door closed.

The people walk in and got their seats. "Good afternoon everyone."

They all stay quite and talk. My uncle walk up to a man who was pouring in the whisky.

"Oh I wouldn't drink that if I where you. It is positioned. We don't want any deaths." He said and the man put the class down. That got a smile on my face.

After the hole thing. All of them went out my uncle grab my arm and Shasa got Pam. He was no back to the weasel. They both took us out. Shasa was busy talking to Pam. More like arguing. I only heard Pam said. "Ok was not my fault."

My uncle and I was arguing to. He told me I should not spy on people.

"But I wasn't spying." I said as he let go of my arm.

"And what do you call that back their." He said.

"Ok maybe I was. But if I did dog you would be deaf now."

He didn't say anything just keep walking in silence.

"I am leaving tomorrow morning." He said after a while of silence. " I need you to be good and listen to prof Gordon. Don't be naughty. "

"Who say I am naughty? " I ask with a smile on my face.

He just shook his head and left with Shasa by his side.

"I think he isn't telling us everything he know." Pam said. He was sitting next to me.

"Why do you say that." I ask but I know he was right.

"He just said he is leaving but didn't say what for he is leaving."

"You are right Pam. Maybe it is the dust."

"I think so too."