CHAPTER 23

AVERY AND BELLAMY WERE JUST OUTSIDE OF CAMP when they heard a commotion from inside the walls,

"He's gone. The grounder is gone!"

Everyone was gathered around the fire by the dropship, "What if he brings other grounders back?"

"He'll kill us all."

"Or worse."

"Let the grounders come." Everyone stepped aside to let them through, "We've been afraid of them for far too long, and why? Because of their knives and spears." 

Avery stared at the man as he spoke. The way he captured everyone's attention as he spoke, the way he was able to comfort yet pick up the crowd. The way he lead them all... he wasn't a monster. Not even close. He was a leader. He was their salvation. 

His mother would be proud.

 "I don't know about you. I'm tired of being afraid." Bellamy nodded at Avery and they both revealed the pack of guns they both had.

Everyone cheered, "No way."

Clarke, who stood on the other side of the fire, stared at them with wide eyes. Avery noticed her worried gaze and stepped forward, "These are weapons, not toys, and we have to be prepared to give them up to the guard when the dropships come. But... until then, they're gonna help keep us safe."

"And there are plenty more where these came from. Tomorrow we start training, and if the grounders come, we're gonna be ready to fight."

Everyone dispersed and Bellamy took all the guns to his tent. Avery walked over to Clarke, "Hey, can you set up a meeting with Jaha? Bellamy's ready to talk to him."

"Of course." Before Avery walked off, Clarke grabbed her arm, "Avery, what happened out there?"

Avery sighed, looking around to make sure no one was listening, "Dax was ordered by Shumway to kill Bellamy. He followed us out to the depot and tried to kill Bellamy."

"Did Bellamy kill him?"

"No." Avery stepped away, "I did."

She walked off to find the older Blake and found him next to his sister, "Bellamy." He turned to look at her, "It's time."

The two walked into the tent where the monitor was set up and sat down. Jaha was on the screen.

"Mr. Blake, I've wanted to talk to you for some time now."

Avery sat up straighter, "Before you do, I'd like to say something. When you sent us down here, you sent us to die, but miraculously, most of us are still alive. In large part, that is because of him, because of Bellamy." Bellamy reached over and grabbed her hand, "He's protected us. He's watched over us. To you he may be a criminal, but to us, he's our savior. He's one of us, and he deserves to be pardoned of his crimes just like the rest of us."

"Avery, I appreciate your point of view, but it's not that simple." Jaha responded,

"It is if you want to know who on The Ark wants you dead." Bellamy replied,

Jaha paused for a moment before leaning forward, " Bellamy Blake, you're pardoned for your crimes." Avery smiled in relief and squeezed his hand, "Now, tell me who gave you the gun."

Avery sat with him as he explained everything to Jaha. Once he was finished, Jaha sat back thinking, "Thank you."

He was about to turn off the chat when Avery spoke again, "Um... Chancellor?... Is there a Paul Barnes that's been waiting? It's just that... well, all the other kids got to talk to their parents."

The Chancellor sat forward once again, "Avery, I'm sorry. I remember every single name and... your father was one of the 320 people who sacrificed themselves in the Culling."

Tears filled her eyes. The only family she had left... gone like that. 

She didn't even get the chance to say goodbye.

Bellamy squeezed her hand but she ripped it away. Avery quickly stood and left the tent. She made her way back to her own and stood there for a moment, trying to breathe.

But she couldn't.

She was angry. Upset. 

It just wasn't fair.

She threw items across her tent. She didn't have much, but whatever was in reach, she threw angrily at the tent walls.

Did he not believe in her? Did he not think she survived? That she wasn't strong enough? Avery just didn't understand why he sacrificed himself. Did he even think about her when he made that decision?

Or was it a punishment? Did some higher power know of the act she had committed just hours before and this was the consequence? A life for a life.

"Avery!"

Bellamy burst into the tent and Avery dropped the pillow that was in her hand. He stared at her with sad eyes, but all Avery could see was pity.

Her family was gone in a snap. Just like that.

"I'm so sorry."

"It's not fair." She whispered, tears running down her cheeks, "Is it because of what I did to Dax?"

Bellamy walked up to her and cupped her face in his hands, "You saved my life, Avery."

"I killed a person. Someone lost a son so in return I lose my father."

"You're not a bad person, Avery. You're one of the strongest people I know. You're genuine and not afraid to stand up in what you believe in." He bent his neck so he could look at her directly in the eyes, "He's a hero because just like you, he gave up everything just so others would live. He gave up his life so the Ark had time to make it to the ground."

"But why couldn't they wait two more days?" Avery sobbed as Bellamy wrapped his arms around her, "Just two more days."

He held her as she cried. It was strange for Bellamy to see her break down like this. She had always been the strong one, the one who knew how to comfort someone or fix a problem. But he knew how much she cared about her family. Her father was the only person she had left. 

As Avery grew tired, Bellamy lifted her and brought her over to her bed. He set her down before grabbing the pillows from other side of the tent and placed it under her head. 

"I never got to say goodbye." Avery whispered as he placed the bright orange blanket that they got from the depot over her shivering body, "He was supposed to visit the day we went to the ground. I didn't get to tell him that I loved him before..."

"He knew." Bellamy told her, brushing some hair away from her face, "Trust me, Avery, he knew."

"I flew too close to the sun."