Chapter 2 - Amazed And A Little Bit Confused

Camsie's POV

I woke up the next morning feeling refreshed. Work would start at 8:30am, and I was never late. I arrived at the parking lot at exactly 8:10am. Normally I just go right in, but the message had told me to move the plant at 8:17am. Am I  really going to do it?

Overnight,  my  fear had turned into curiosity. Let’s say if I moved the plant, I wouldn’t be doing anything wrong or illegal, right? In my mind, the most reasonable course of action was to move the plant. Wala namang mawawala kung susubukan ko diba?

I'll do it, nothing would happen, and I will  be able to put this whole crazy matter behind me. One minute before 8:17 I left my car and walked towards the building.

I entered the foyer at the exact time I was supposed to. Totoo nga ang message, nobody else was around.

“Odd,” I mumbled. The building was normally busy this time of morning, but this temporary silence had been accurately predicted.

“Fine! Let’s see what happens,” I muttered to myself.

I walked up to the large potted plant placed firmly between the two elevators in the lobby of the ten story building.

The plant looked like it was fake, a decoration people passed every day without really noticing. Mas mabigat pala ito kaysa sa akala ko. I put some might into my effort and pulled the plant out three inches to my best estimate.

I stood back and looked at the plant, then looked around the lobby. People were coming in behind me now and the lobby was starting to fill up again. Mukhang walang nakapansin sa halaman na it was in a slightly different location, nothing seemed different at all.

I skipped the next elevator and waited, waited for…something. But nothing happened. Finally I entered the elevator and made it to his 7th floor cubicle, on time like always.

If you ever asked my coworkers to describe me, you’d hear words like polite, quiet, respectful, and competent. And while those words were all accurate, they gave little indication of the truth, the truth that I really didn’t like most people.

That’s not to say I disliked them, just that I had very little interest in getting to know them or being their friend, save for one.

Daniel, the boy who sat two cubicles down from me, was the only person I wanted to know more about. With his big smile, jet black hair, and masculine figure, I was very interested in learning all about him.

Despite my lack of success with men in the past, I was actually doing a fair job getting to know him.

Every morning as I passed his cubicle, he’d stop me for a chat. The chats were one minute at first, then two minutes, then several minutes. I was surprised that he actually seemed to like me. At gusto ko rin siya............makausap.

On this particular morning, our daily conversation lasted only a couple of minutes. As we exchanged our morning greetings and talked about  his wild night out, the elevator doors opened up behind them. Out hobbled  Melinda Crux, the boss of both me and Daniel.

Melinda's’ loud complaining could be heard throughout the office, “My damn foot!” sigaw niya. I really don't like her. Napakaarte at plastic niya.

“What happened, Melinda?” came the mumbled queries.

“It’s that damn plant they have in the lobby. I ran right into it and twisted my ankle.” iritadong sambit ni Melinda.

“Melinda, you can barely walk. You need to go to the hospital,” concern na pahayag ni Daniel.

“Can’t do it now. I have meetings all day. Too important to cancel. I’ll just have to tough it out.” ani ni Melinda.

I'm feeling stunned, left Daniel's cubicle mid conversation and sunk down into my chair. It was my fault, I was sure of it. How could I have been so stupid and careless? Still, no use in worrying about it now. A twisted ankle would heal, everything would be alright. Di ba?

Upon my return home, I went immediately to my computer and turned it on. As soon as the computer booted up, the screen went black and a new message popped up.

“How was your day, Camsie?

I sat there, staring at the screen, not knowing how to answer. The message on the screen continued, “Actually, I know how your day was, but never let it be said that I’m not polite. You’re wondering what’s going on. You want to know why Melinda Crux had to twist his ankle. Well Camsie, this chain of events isn’t done playing out. I don’t want to tell you too much too soon, but this will all make sense to you in short order. Just go to work tomorrow like you normally do. Don’t worry about a thing Camsie. You’ll be rewarded. You’re special. Talk to you tomorrow.”

I sat back in my swivel chair. What was going on? Who was this sending me messages? My curiosity was fully engaged, and I was almost a bit excited to see what would happen next.
___________________________________________

Follow me po
Vote and comment your thoughts

ramz_15