Default Chapter

A/N: Anything that is not consistent with the books, you'll have to excuse because I have not read them. Basically everything I know is from fanfic and the movies. (Mostly fanfic since a lot of time has passed from the end of the movies to the beginning of this story.) I hope you enjoy it anyway.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

If Dumbledore had commanded she attach extra arms and play the role of a squid, Hermione could not have been more shocked.

"I...WHAT?" she asked, trying to clear her head of what she knew must be the figment of a very confused imagination.

"You heard me correctly, Hermione," the old man's voice was soft as he watched her.

She shook her head forcefully. "No, no I couldn't possibly- You would never ask me..."

"Hermione," he sighed, "This isn't something I've wanted to ask you. If there was another way..."

"Sir," she cleared her throat, "I understand the idea of sacrificing myself for the good of the whole, but...wouldn't some sort of painful death be more useful?"

Dumbledore's lips quirked at her question. "He's not as bad as you think, Hermione."

"Then YOU marry him!" Hermione snapped unintentionally before covering her mouth in horror.

Chuckling, Dumbledore stood up. "Think about it, Hermione. I'll give you few days. The war is over, but the separation is vast. In order for peace to last, there needs to be unity. Where better to start than here at Hogwarts?"

"Sir, I appreciate the situation and there is nothing I'd like better than to see everyone at peace, but couldn't you just ask everyone to be friends?" she swallowed, "Or ask someone else? Pansy and Neville?" she suggested hopefully.

"I admire your efforts to help out with other suggestions," the old man looked amused.

"Sir, Malfoy and I aren't even old enough-"

"Draco is of age, Hermione and if I recall correctly, your birthday is in a few short weeks."

"But sir...I HATE him. He feels even more strongly about me, I assure you. Surely this would only backfire!"

"I would consider it a personal favor to me, Ms. Granger, if you could prevent it from backfiring."

"Sir, this is my whole LIFE. Even if you wanted me to marry Ron or Harry, I still couldn't make a decision that decision!"

"Hermione, it wouldn't be have to be forever."

"Sir, marriage is forever."

"A peaceful annulment after graduation would be most acceptable considering the circumstances, Hermione."

"So I wouldn't have to-" Hermione trailed off with a blush.

"Your life would not have to change in the least, except that you would work closely with Draco in an effort to bring wizard and muggle born magic families together. The death eaters have been destroyed, Hermione, it is our job to make sure the next generation does not recreate them."

Hermione sighed, but then smiled slightly, "Sir, I would be pleased to help you out with this," she crossed her arms, "If Malfoy is in agreement, of course," Hermione almost smirked.

"Excellent, Ms. Granger. Mr. Malfoy said much the same thing. Let's discuss dates."

Hermione felt a bit dazed and sick as she walked from Dumbledore's office. No one was on the school grounds yet, but soon it would be swarming with Hogwarts students, new and old.