Chapter Six

VIV OPENED HER eyes. Darkness met her gaze, and when she shifted warm, soft covers slid over her skin. Where was she? Not in a hotel. She'd remember checking in, right? Besides, she'd never risk it with Dane looking for her. So, that left one possibility. They'd found her, and Dane had taken her somewhere private where no one would ever find her. That's what government agents did, wasn't it? Took you away to lock you up and hide you out of sight if you didn't conform? Well, either that or they killed you.

She swallowed past the sand-papery dryness in her throat and bolted upright, sliding off the bed as fast as she could. Her legs trembled under her, and she leaned into the mattress. She needed to get out of her while she could. Her stomach growled, and she flinched at the loud noise.

Had he been starving her too? She hadn't been eating well before ending up here, but the last thing she could remember was hazy. She'd been trying to get to Seb. Everything after that? Nothing but a blur. She ran a hand through her hair and pushed away from the bed.

One foot in front of the other in a half-walk, half-shuffle. Hands out to keep herself from running into anything. Halfway across the room, her legs were noodles. The dim line of light shining beneath the closed door taunted her, and tears pooled against her lashes. How could she be so weak?

The door swung open, and light spilled in. It rimmed a familiar figure, and she clapped her hands over her mouth to muffle a sob. "S-seb?" she managed once she was calmer.

He flicked on the lights, a frown on his face, and hurried to her. "You shouldn't be out of bed. How do you feel?"

"Weak." She let him guide her back to the bed—his bed, she now realized.

"Weak is better than on death's door." He rubbed her upper arms and knelt in front of her. "I thought I might lose you, but you insisted, no hospitals."

And praise the Lord that he'd listened. If he hadn't, Dane would have her by now. "How long have I been here?"

"Half a week." He squeezed her shoulders. "Can you explain what's going on? I've been lying to Dane, your parents, and the authorities since you arrived."

Her throat went dry. They knew she was here. They must. "I need to leave. Right now."

"What? Absolutely not!" His grip on her shoulders tightened. "You're too weak, and I don't think you can take care of yourself like this."

"They know I'm here, or they suspect." She clung to his arms. "He's just biding his time. They'll come for me. They'll—"

The doorbell rang, and she cut off. Her fingers dug into Seb's forearms, and he stared at her, his lips pressing into a thin line. The doorbell buzzed insistently in the background, and Seb shook his head. "It's probably him. He checks in every day. You know, he really does seem worried about you."

"He doesn't want me damaged." She tensed. "What good is a broken wife?"

His eyes widened. "What are you talking about?"

She started to explain, but his AHS, Morna, cut in with a cheerful voice. "Dane McGayen is at the door, Mr. Auclaire. He would like to speak to you."

At least his apartment's program had more personality than some. She winced.

"Well, tell him I'm not home."

"I have. He says he knows you are, Mr. Auclaire."

Seb groaned. "Tell him—"

The house's intercom speakers crackled. "Incoming voice message from Dane McGayen."

Viv's heart pounded against her ribcage, and with the adrenaline rushing through her, she no longer felt so weak.