10

In the morning, Aziraphale woke up early. Stretching himself, he yawned, his mind still dizzy from the alcohol. The angel scanned his bookshop, not knowing where he was - until he suddenly realized what had happened the day before. Memories started to hit him like a fast car and the blurry image of Crowley floated through his mind.

He was gone. All of him he had ever known, was gone.

His smile. His nasty, sweet laughter. His warm look.

His kisses.

All of it was gone. Just because he had listened to Her, not his heart. His heart, once being filled with everlasting desire, now torn into a million pieces. Aziraphale felt the growing pain, stronger and stronger until it would kill him. And he knew nothing to help.

He had no strength at all anymore. He felt powerless. Weak.

Burying his face in his arms, the angel tried to fall asleep again. Maybe, he would wake up after a couple of hours just for keeping a nightmare in his mind. Maybe he would spend the day just lying around, having lots of tea, thinking about his life.

His life gone wrong. Utterly, utterly wrong.

His life slowly pushing him off the edge.

Aziraphale was just about to close his eyes as the phone rang. The angel moaned, taking a look at the clock...it was seven in the morning! Which customer always visiting his bookshop would call so early, being so stupid? They knew that the shop usually opened at 10 - so who was it, stealing his peaceful rest?

As kind as he was, the angel forced himself to get up and finally answered the call. His tired voice echoing through the silence.

"H - Hello? This is A.Z. Fell and Co., please send us an e - mail for further inquiries or wait until we're open...", he made something up to get rid of the unknown caller. This often worked. Not his best, but more than less.

Aziraphale waited for the person to reply. Five seconds passed. Ten. Thirteen.

Fifteen.

Then - he froze.

"Yeah, uhm...hello, Angel. Long time no hearing from you, are you allright? For Gods Sake, you can't imagine what I've done...you still there? Aziraphale?"

The angel was speechless. He couldn't say anything. And if he would have said something, it would be something bad again. He didn't want to hurt Crowley again. He didn't want to hurt himself. But he probably had no choice.

Aziraphale swallowed hard, words coming out of his mouth:

"I...I don't want to hear it. Crowley, I...we...how many times I have to tell you? When will you understand we aren't made for each other? An angel and a demon - Crowley, we aren't like them. The humans, the mortals. They might have this thing called Love, but we can't have it. The Great Plan...She makes the rules, not you or anybody else. Just open your eyes, Crowley - think about the punishment. Think about in what trouble we could get, only for...for such a ridiculous thing. Please, Crowley - stay away from me, don't ever call me again. It's the best for us."

He paused. At the other side of the line, the demon was shocked. Aziraphale wasn't himself anymore. That was...any other guy, but not his angel. Not the caring, crêpes - loving celestial being, no...this was just not him.

Crowley was so in shock that his phone slipped out of his hand. With an angry hiss, he miracled it back, but Aziraphale already had hung up.

What a shame!

Instead of making things right, he had made them even worse. He was such a moron! 

Suddenly, Crowley was in rage again. He wanted to tear something into pieces, he wanted to punch something. 

He wanted to hurt. 

Usual, demonic feelings. They go away if you let them. If don't, you just need to take control, Beelzebub had told him one day. She had been truly convinced about him, that he would make a great servant to the Devil. 

She had been mislead. His heart belonged to an angel. Always had belonged. 

And no one - really no one - could tear them apart. Whether the Great Plan or not. 

Humans had to fight for the ones they loved. 

So...why demons couldn't?

Crowley had made his decision a long, long time ago. And he wanted Aziraphale to know that. 

No one was in their way. He still could change things. 

Now or never...

What will happen next?

Can Crowley finally make things right between him and Aziraphale?

Will there be a Happy End for our Ineffable Husbands?

The Saga continues...see you soon in book 2!!!