Chapter # 1 A New Beginning

"Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together." - Woodrow T. Wilson

Friendships come in all shapes and sizes; some linger in the acquaintance phase for ages, while others leap straight into BFF territory. There's no right or wrong path for a friendship to take—these stages aren't fixed. A connection can just as easily shift from close-knit to casual, depending entirely on the individuals involved.

Typically, friendships evolve over time, bringing two people closer together. However, not every bond will reach the status of best friends; each relationship is unique. Some may start as acquaintances and remain there for a while, while others skyrocket from online pals to inseparable companions in no time. It all boils down to the people involved, their expectations, and how much time and effort they're willing to invest in the friendship.

This is the story of two very different individuals—Alena and Xavier—who have no idea that their lives are about to change dramatically after high school.

Alena's Perspective

As I strolled through the trees, thoughts raced through my mind: Will life ever change? How will I survive so far from home? It was my first day on campus. As I crossed the corridor, I bumped into a girl.

"Hey! I'm Alena. Can you tell me where the notice board is? I need to check my English class room number."

"Oh, hi Alena! I'm Zoe. Come with me; we're in the same class!"

"Thanks!"

That day was a whirlwind, but at least I made a friend in Zoe. She was helpful, cooperative, and warm-hearted. Since our classes were the same, we quickly became good friends. Zoe introduced me to her circle: Kate, Iza, and Liha. They welcomed me into their group.

One day in Algebra class, I sat at the back with my friends, struggling to stay awake. Suddenly, there was a knock at the door, drawing my attention. Our teacher said, "Come in!" A group of boys strolled in, and one of them caught my eye. He was tall, charming, with a light beard and a maroon shirt. I nudged my friend. "Who is he?"

Iza was just as curious. After scanning the attendance sheet, we discovered his name: "Xavier."

The next day, I saw Xavier and Iza chatting in the garden. I was running late for a lecture.

"Are you going to class?" I asked Iza.

"No, I'll catch the next session," she replied.

As I turned to leave, Iza stopped me. "Wait! Let me introduce you to my new friend."

"Iza, this is Alena, my friend."

"Hi, Alena!" Xavier said.

"Hi!" I replied, and then hurried off to class.

As days passed, I spent more time with Iza, Xavier, and his friend Damon after school. Zoe and I couldn't believe how close Iza was getting to them.

The second week rolled in, and Iza mentioned her birthday was on Friday, February 8th. Unfortunately, we had no classes that day, so Zoe and I decided to celebrate Iza's birthday on February 6th with a small party at the campus cafeteria.

I invited Xavier and Damon since they were Iza's friends.

"Hey Xavier, why don't you and Damon join us for Iza's birthday?"

"Absolutely!" he replied.

It was my first time speaking directly to Xavier. They joined us for cake cutting, and two days later, as I was walking through the corridor, Xavier approached me.

"Hey Alena, have you finished your assignment?"

"Oh hi! Not yet. I'm working on it," I said.

"Why don't you join our class group?" Xavier suggested.