Chapter 8: Sans

It was cold. Really, really cold.

Everyone except for Ryan and Frisk was wearing short sleeves, which was a horrible choice to be wearing in a winter wonderland. Ethan and Sophie were silently cursing their choice of wearing shorts and a skirt respectively, and Angela was slowly starting to wonder whether if it would have been a lot more better to stay with Toriel forever.

"Why, of all things we could've wondered too, did we end up in winter?" Angela complained. Her ballet practice clothes were slowly losing her respect, and her ballet shoes giving her cramps were not really helping matters either.

"Ah, one of the many reasons and benefits of wearing a sweater everywhere you go." Ryan boasted the fact he was the most comfortable one in the situation. Even Frisk was shivering, despite the fact they were wearing long sleeves as well. Angela was starting to think the biggest threat wasn't going to be Flowey or Asgore, but dying of hypothermia.

"I'm going to pray that moving will help warm things up." Ethan said while rubbing his palms together. "Let's go."

They walked down the path, snow crunching beneath their feet. (Angela was seriously thinking of finding something else to wear. Again, ballet shoes don't do a lot in the cold either.) In a distance was a bridge hanging above what looked to be a sunken part of land, with something like an oversized gate in front of it.

"Is that a swing set?" Hannah squinted at the strange contraption in a distance. "Or is it a gate for giants?"

"Are all monsters that huge? That thing doesn't even look like a gate!" Chase commented.

They walked a bit more. It wasn't long before Angela felt a strange feeling in the atmosphere around her. The others must have felt it too, as they were looking around their surroundings constantly and nervously.

"I think someone is following us." Ryan whispered to the group. No one disagreed with the statement.

"I don't see anyone behind us." Chase, who was walking at the back of the group, turned behind him to check again. The snowy path behind them showed no signs of another person, or monster, following them.

They continued walking, albeit a bit more faster. Frisk found a rather large and tough-looking stick on the ground, but the group ignored it.

"Too heavy to pick up, Frisk." Angela commented as they walked on. But just after they took a few steps, they heard a loud "Snap!"

Turning around, the stick was snapped into peices, but there was no one to be seen near it. Ethan and Frisk went back to study it, before running back to the group.

"Smashed like it was nothing." Ethan commented. "I think we should be running by now."

So they did. Frisk crashed into a halt in front of the oversized gate, causing everyone behind them to bump into each other.

"What are you doing? That guy or something is right behind us!" Ethan wailed. Now that they have stopped walking, the footsteps of the person following them were obvious. Before Ethan could shove everyone forward, the footsteps stopped.

"Let me guess, he's right behind us?" Angela whispered.

No one dared reply.

"humans." A deep voice boomed. "don't you know how to greet a new pal?"

"turn around, and shake my hand."

Chase, with one hand holding onto his empty revolver, slowly turned around. The rest of the group followed him.

The shadows casted down by the huge trees beside the path stopped the group from being able to see the unknown person clearly. They stuck out one of their hand, waiting for the group's next move.