XVI

Kenzie Hope

Nothing, no words could describe how I felt when I saw him. The first thing I saw was his eyes- those gorgeous green eyes. They felt like the sun and I was the grass after a harsh winter, now it was spring and those lovely green eyes brought life back to the forest. They warmed my soul in a way that only he can. They reminded me of that churning, passionate green that the ocean turns during a storm. They had flecks of the sun in them as he stared me down.

Under his eyes were bags and if I didn't know better, I would think that he had two black eyes. His eyebrows were set in wrinkles and his lips were quivering. That black hair of his was ruffled and greasy, sticking up in unusual ways. He looked smaller than he did when I left him, it was like he hadn't been eating.

"Why did you attack us," Jordan growled at him, but made no attempt to attack. It was silent as he didn't answer.

"Why?" Jordan asked again with more power in his voice.

"I'm here for her," He said, his voice coarse like a fragmented rock in hessian sack, moving and grinding against each other, somehow it complimented his ruddy complexion and raised veins. He wiped black hair from eyes as green as the trees and fixes us in a soft gaze.

"McKenna?" He said my name with raw emotion.

"Z? Who is this guy?" Carter asked, getting in a protective stance. He stood to the left of me, slightly in front in case he needed to protect me. Carter was all about protecting the ones he loved.

I didn't answer his question and Harrison repeated it, putting himself in the same position as Carter of my right hand side. I was now locked in my the two boys and I could barely see Kaden through them. Although, I could see his raggedy breaths, uneven and lost.

"Z, honey?" Dylan asked, standing right in front of me and putting his arms on my shoulders. He blocked my view of Kaden with his beach blonde hair and brown eyes, but I knew he meant well.

"He's-" I started, but it was cut off by Dylan flying out of my sight. Instantly, I ducked down, not wanting to be hit by the force, but I stood up again when I realized it was Kaden. He was standing in front of me now, his eyes black from anger and breathing more ragged than Mt. Everest.

To be honest, I didn't want to deal with him, so I ran towards Dylan, who was standing up after being knocked back to suddenly. Dylan wrapped his arms around me in a protective manner and I began to cry into his shirt.

Kaden was back. He was probably going to take me back with him or kill me because I knew he wasn't faithful to his mate. It was then that it dawned on me that I am reliving the story of Jordan and I's grandparents. In the story, it does not end well for me.

I bawled up my hands in Dylan's shirt and cried harder. He squeezed me tighter and whispered that it would be okay. Meanwhile, Harrison, Carter, and a few other straggler rouges held Kaden down while Jordan yelled at him. By breathing was irregular and I couldn't find the strength to calm myself down as I felt myself slip into a panic attack.

I felt myself being lowered to the ground as Dylan sat behind me and wrapped his body around mine. He then turned us around so that I couldn't see what was happening and began rocking back and forth. He whispered that I would be okay.

After what seemed like forever, Jordan came and crouched down in front of me. He pushed a hair behind my ear and looked at me with sorrow filled eyes.

"Hey, sweetheart," He said, earning him a growl from Kaden. Jordan continued to talk to me until I felt calm enough to begin breathing properly. Jordan picked me up and sat us both on the love seat. Dylan came and sat next to us to so that I was sandwiched between them. I laid my head on Jordan's shoulder and Dylan rubbed up and down my arm.