Chapter 17 - A Thank You Dinner

Two days later, I'm still feeling triumphal for what I did, especially when I get online to check what the reaction of the media is. They actually loved me, only writing nice things about how lovely I am and how in love we look. We totally deceived them. No one can say I'm not doing my job well. It's all pretence, we don't even like each other, but what matters is that they don't see that.

Havi called me the day after the premiere to congratulate me and ask me how I was doing. I didn't lie when I told her that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and that I actually had fun. I also felt good about telling my father the truth. Liam actually behaved nicely that night.

Havi also told me that I should have a few days for myself and that she would let me know when I have to go out with Liam again.

But she was wrong.

Without previous notice, Liam calls me. Not a text, not an email. He. Calls. Me.

"Hello?" I ask confused, a slight frown on my brow. "Is something wrong?"

"Hello, Belle," he says in a good mood, which confuses me further. "Nothing is wrong. Can't I just call my lovely girlfriend? I mean, according to the media she's the loveliest creature and we are madly in love. It's just normal that I call her to know how she's doing," explains Liam and my frown deepens. This doesn't sound right, there's something off, especially for his sweet tone. He doesn't talk to me like that.

"Fake girlfriend," I remind him. "It's just acting."

"Oh yes, I noticed. You're an amazing actress, I was shocked," is his response and I grin. It was a blow to his ego when I told him I had been acting the whole time. Good, because I don't want him to forget I don't like him a single bit. "But we can't let our guards off, the media needs to be reminded of how much in love we are so... What are you doing tonight?"

It takes me six seconds to understand he's asking me out. He. This is not some planned event by our boss, or even Havi. This is his will because Havi told me I should have a few days free. Two is not a few.

"I have to correct assignments," I say without a trace of emotion.

"Is it due tomorrow? Because if you still have some days for that, I would like to take you on a date."

I actually feel a chill going down my spine. I don't want to do this, I have a really bad feeling and I don't want to ruin my good mood. But he's being actually nice. He's asking me to go with him, not demanding and that's improvement.

"I have a few more days," I reply still a bit unsure. "What time are you picking me up?"

There's a moment of silence and I wonder what he's doing or thinking. I'm actually curious.

"Is thirty minutes enough for you?" he questions with an amused tone and that surprises me again. "Or do you need more?"

Still blinking in surprise I reply, "Thirty is fine. Do I dress casual?" I inquire next and I'm waiting for him to say I just have to look hot, as he's done before.

"Yes, just casual. I'm taking you to have dinner."

Is this his counterattack? Is this his way to pay me back? But we are just talking over the phone, there's no need to act now. We can't even see each other. It would make more sense if he acted like this when having dinner.

I have to be careful, extra careful now. I can't forget we are just playing to be a couple.

I get ready and inform Father I'll have dinner with Liam but I make sure to leave something prepared for him. And then, exactly thirty minutes after the call, the doorbell rings. I'm not sure to believe it's Liam because last time I had to make him come to pick me up. I don't think he learnt that fast.