Repairs

You groaned and threw the blankets off your sweat drenched body. Your pants and sweater from yesterday were glued to your sticky skin and your hair was plastered over your forehead.

"Why is it so freaking hot in here?!" you panted, wiping your mouth and grimacing at the wetness on your hand.

You hauled yourself out of bed and staggered out into the kitchen, half-expecting something to be on fire. But everything was in its place and there was no trace of flame to be seen. You continued out into the café proper and peered through the darkness of the early morning.

Nothing out of place there either.

Wait.

Something should be out of place here!

You jogged over to the front window, the one that had been smashed to smithereens only hours ago. You stared at it, then slowly reached out and brushed your fingers across the wooden boards that patched over the whole frame, locking out the frigid winter wind.

You frowned, briefly recalling waking up in the middle of the night and piling an excess of blankets on top of yourself with the vague idea that you wouldn't freeze since there was a gaping hole in your shop.

... did Kid do this?

You quickly turned and searched through the café, but there was no huge four bladed axe stuck in your floor anymore; just the divots where it had lain.

Your frown deepened and you turned and stomped back to your room. The reckless redhead could shove it up his ass! He'd have to do more than that to make up for terrorizing the Calico.

After changing into some fresh clothes, you cleaned up the café and checked your books for weather damage.

You frowned as you worked, shame and guilt stabbing through your gut. Why the hell hadn't you fixed the damn window last night?! Gran would have had your head!

After being assured of your property's condition, you settled behind the counter and pulled out your phone.

"Hey, Jinbe," you hummed when he picked up, "How are you doing this morning?"

"Y/n?" your landlord let out a grunt, "Is everything okay?"

You let out a sigh and slouched down onto the counter.
"Uh... No, actually," you sighed, "There was a gang fight last night. It was pretty bloody, I think there's a body in the alley. And the front window got smashed in."

"What?!" his exclamation was loud in your ear and you flinched away from the phone, "Have you called the police yet?"

"No," you murmured, "I only just... finished patching up the window."

"You what-? Y/n!" Jinbe let out a frustrated groan, "You don't have to do anything. Just keep the shop closed and stay inside. There may still be some dangerous people around. I'll be there in soon."

"Okay-," you said right before Jinbe hung up on you.

You let out another sigh before getting up to make sure the door was locked. You tapped the bolt, confirming it was secure, and then your eyes dropped to the ground outside. You froze, then slowly unlocked the door and pulled it open.

A collection of bags sat on the sidewalk under your awning. After poking through them, you realized that most of the items inside were on your grocery list from yesterday.

You straightened and stared at the bags for a few long moments. Then your eyes lifted to the neighbouring door. Even though it was fast approaching 8 o'clock, your street was still silent and there were no traces of movement from upstairs.