How to look after dogs and other animals in isolation

Coronavirus: how to look after your dog if you have to self-isolate

The RSPCA has listed a number of tips on how to look after pets during self-isolation.

Pet owners who contract coronavirus are being urged not to panic and abandon their animals.

The RSPCA is offering advice to owners who may have to self-isolate on how to continue to care for their animals, including seeking help from relatives and friends.

Dog owners in particular are concerned about whether they can continue to take them out for walks in the event that they have to isolate themselves.

"While there is no evidence to suggest that pets can be carriers of coronavirus or can become ill from it themselves, your pets may be impacted if you or any members of your family tests positive for the virus," the RSPCA said.

"We are urging pet owners not to panic and not to abandon their pets. There are lots of easy ways to take care of your pets' needs even if you can't leave the house."

Tips from the RSPCA include asking for another person to care for your animal and keeping horses and livestock on land away from the infected person's home.

Adopt good hygiene

It says good hygiene should be adopted before dealing with pets including rabbits, rodents, birds and reptiles, while cats can still go outdoors.

While an infected person will be unable to talk their dog beyond their house and garden, tips to keep the dog happy include setting aside some time for play and to teach the dog a new trick, hiding treats around the house and ensuring they still have access to the garden.

Owners are also advised to download the My Dog's Favourite Podcast, which has a range of sounds, words and original music designed to encourage relaxation.

"If you have any worries about your pet's health during self-isolation give your vet a call for advice but don't visit the surgery in person," an RSPCA spokeswoman said.

"If you have been diagnosed with Covid-19 then you should inform your local health protection team that there is a pet in the household. They will liaise with the relevant animal health authorities."

peace out and stay safe🤙
~careflower
377 words