Chapter Eight - Different is Good

I stood there, microphone in my hand, the hot lights shining down on my face. I could do this. I have the talent and thanks to Ryan, I have the look. I was wearing my purple dress with the heels and fishnet leggings he suggested, and my hair was curled again.

Ryan started playing "Tell Me That You Love Me," by Victoria Justice. Today, we were changing it up. We were doing a faster, more upbeat song than before. Ryan was still singing backup, though.

Again, we were flawless. I sang every note on key, just like we rehearsed, and he played every note, not missing a single one. When the song was over, I stood motionless for a moment while trying to catch my breath.

The judges, along with most of the audience, gave us standing ovations. Ryan came over and hugged me while the crowd died down.

"That was different," Harry said. I waited for more comments. Good different? Bad different? Why was he making me wait for an answer?

"But... different is good sometimes, and in your case, it’s very good, Brilliant work, it’s a yes from me," he said. I still couldn't believe that one of my role models was sitting so close to me, and telling me that I made it through to the next round of an American reality show. It all felt like a dream.

"Ryan, Lindsay," Sharron said. "You too never fail to impress me. You're both incredibly talented young children, and it would be a crime for me to not put you through! It's a yes from me."

"Thank you so much, Sharron, it means a lot," Ryan said. And now there was one.

"Well," Simon said. "You two chose a song different from any other week. Even though its only week three, this song was definitely out of your comfort zone." He paused. "I like that. I like it when people take risks and try new things. Sometimes it doesn't turn out so well, but in your case it did. Great work, we'll see you next week."

I started jumping up and down with excitement, making a total fool out of myself.

"Thank you all so much for giving us this opportunity. We'll see you next week!" I said as we walked off stage.

I was so happy and full of excitement I couldn't stop moving. I smiled the whole ride home, and had a sudden burst of energy. Ryan hates when that happens because I can get quite obnoxious, but he obviously doesn't mind it too much if he stays with me.

"Live While We're Young," by One Direction came on the radio and I turned the speakers on full volume. I started singing the song really loud and dancing around in my seat. I could Ryan was trying not to laugh and just pay attention to the road, but he ended up giving in. He started laughing and singing along with me. He knew all the words, which I found amusing.

When the song was over, I turned the volume back to normal. I was still very hyped up and kept dancing in my seat. I'd say stupid things like, "we made it, we made it, yeah buddy!" or "la la la la la I like to sing on America's Got Talent, la la la la."

As we got closer to the hotel, it didn't seem like Ryan was slowing the car down.

"We passed the hotel, Ryan," I said. "Where are we going?"

"Don't get mad, but we got invited to a party with the other contestants. I said we would come. I didn't tell you because I didn't know if you'd want to go. I thought if we just went there after our performance, you couldn't say no."

I thought about it for a while. A party. In NYC. With people who we were competing with on a reality TV show.

"Might as well, we have nothing else planned," I said. "But next time, just tell me where we're going."

He laughed. Have I ever mentioned how freaking adorable his laugh is? Well, now I will. It's the most adorable laugh I've ever heard.

"Yes, Lindsay, I'll be sure to do that," he said with hint of sarcasm.

"As Long as You Love Me," by Justin Bieber came on the radio at that time. I screamed and turned the volume up full blast.

"Oh god, not again," Ryan said.

I laughed and started to sing the song, being extra obnoxious just because he'd said that. I glanced over at him, admiring his perfect appearance. How did I get so lucky to have an amazing guy like him?