part thirty four

Harry Styles

I pace back and forth, my phone resting on the kitchen counter in front of me next to the contact information of my aunt.

Lydia sits across the counter.

"You're freaking yourself out." she says, her chin resting in her hands.

"Lyds, please. I don't need your comments." I shake my head.

"I'm just saying...she's not gonna call you herself." she shrugs.

She's right and I hate it.

I roll my eyes. "What if she doesn't answer?"

"Then we'll try again another time." Lydia explains. "Harry, this is the only way you're gonna find the closure you need. It's the right thing to do."

"I'm not a fan of doing the right thing. You should know that better than anyone." I say, causing her to throw her head back in frustration.

"Just dial the damn number please."

I stop and look at her, taking a deep breath. She nods as reassurance. "You can do this." she says.

I blow air out of my mouth and pick up the phone, punching in the numbers from the card. 

It starts ringing. I bring the phone to my ear. Lydia bites her lip in anticipation.

After the phone rings for what feels like forever, I hear a soft.... "Hello?"

I pause and stay quiet. I didn't know what to say. I instinctively look at Lydia, who was motioning for me to talk.

"Hello." I respond, trying to sound as normal as possible.

"Is this Harry?" my aunt asks through the phone. She must have recognized my voice.

"Uh, yeah. Yeah it is." I scratch the back of my neck and glance at Lydia, who gave me a thumbs up as encouragement to keep going.

"You're calling about your mom, aren't you?" she says in confidence.

I clear my throat. "I am."

I don't know why I'm nervous.

"Well, I'm glad you called. I'll give you the address and you can come see her in person."

I take a deep breath. "Okay." I sigh.

She tells me the address and I write it down. We hang up after she says she's looking forward to seeing me.

I haven't seen my mother for 13 years. I thought she had been murdered with my father. There's so much I don't know.

But I wasn't going to see her to get information out of her. I'm going to see her to show her that I'm happy and I didn't need her to achieve that.

I'm 26 years old. I've made a life for myself. It might not be the best lifestyle, but I have Lydia and my friends. What more do I need?

I grab my keys and look at Lydia, who was sitting up straight in anticipation. "Let's get this over with."

She stands up and puts on her shoes at the front door. "I'm really proud of you for doing this." she smiles softly.

I grab her hand as we walk out the door and to the elevator. "I don't know what to expect. I haven't seen her in so long."

We step inside the small elevator. Lydia stands next to me, head resting against my arm because she couldn't quite reach my shoulder. "Just say what you need to say. I'll be right there waiting once you do."