prologue

Rain continued to pour down from the heavens, soaking the two of them to the bone. Occasionally, cars would flash by, spattering water onto the sidewalk, but despite this, they continued to stand there aghast, their glassy-eyed gaze upon each other ironically unbreakable.

Hesitantly, Jungkook stepped forward, swallowing hard. As his eyes were locked onto Hana, he was very apprehensive of every microscopic reaction from her. Whether it be a flinch of her hands or her lips parting faintly, he knew to be mindful of every little detail. Not only was she afraid, but Jungkook as well─afraid that she would run away again.

He took another step towards her, his chest tightening like an excruciatingly bound corset. "Hana," Jungkook muttered out, his throat scratchy, "I just want to talk."

Hana raised her chin only slightly, allowing for her eyes to be parallel with Jungkook's. Her mind was cluttered as the file cabinets she once organized have deliberately fallen, the papers from within now disseminated all over the floor. Pursing her lips, Hana watches as Jungkook takes another couple steps, the anguish in his eyes palpable. Although she wanted so desperately to have him hold her in his arms, she knew she couldn't bring herself to tolerate his touch─for her own sake.

"Jungkook, please," Hana recoils from him, holding her hands up. "I can't give you what you want."

"But I can give you what you need!" Jungkook belted, his voice full of longing.

"I don't need anything, especially from you."

"You need love, Hana."