Chapter One - Trial by the Instructors

"Malachi wake up young elf!" My teacher yelled through my ears and I blinked my eyes open quickly. 

"Eh? Miss Iris?" I tipped my head, "Did I fell asleep again-"

"YES! This is the third time this week Mr. Malachi, don't do it again or I'm calling your guardians!" 

"I'm an orphan I got none." I blinked and then she slapped my face, "Ow."

"Your orphanage owner is your guardian Mister. Now get up and pack your bags, I'm shipping you to the academy." 

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

I looked up at the building and then I was pushed into it by the other elves, "Woah!" I squeaked. I looked around the foyer and teachers were yelling instructions to the newcomers. I noticed the different races of elves, Moonshadow, Earthblood, Skywing, Sunfire, and Tidebound. I sighed and I tucked my wings to maneuver around them.

"HEY YOU! SKYWING ELF! You're in room A106! Go!" A teacher took my wrist and then chucked me over the line of people I spread my wings and floated down. I looked around and a sign pointed where I need to go. I trotted down the hallway and entered into the room. There was a line of elves and we lined up. 

"Okay elves, as I read off your name use your most powerful magic to hit those dummies or dummy!" A Sunfire teacher looked down at her clipboard, "Merryweather you go first."

A Skywing elf looked at us all and squeaked, "Oh okay!" She walked up to the step stool and stood up against the stone ledge, she drew a spell in the air and yelled, "Wrath of the Golden wind!" The was a gust of wind and the dummies quivered a bit. 

I can't even do wind spells! I'm gonna flunk! I moved behind a few students and noticed a cloaked elf. his eyes were not visible but I saw white hair, He must be a moonshadow elf. 

"NEXT! Ethan! Get up there and show them real magic!" 

"Okay!" He stomped up and then drew a symbol of fire in the air, "HELL BLAZE!" Spurts of fire came out and then a line of fire, about 3 inches thick hit the middle dummy. "WOOO!"

The cloaked elf sighed and then looked away, I looked over at the teacher and one by one each student casted a spell but none of them broke a dummy. "Malachi! You're up next!" 

I gulped and walked up to the step stool, I drew my most powerful magic symbol and closed my eyes, a surge of confidence surrounded me and I yelled, "Aspiro!" A gust of wind blew from my mouth and the dummies quaked, Oh? I couldn't have done that. 

"Great work!" The Sunfire elf smiled, "OK! Prince Sylvar you're up next! Who named you Prince Sylvar?" 

The cloaked elf walked up to the ledge he didn't step up onto the stool. He turned to us and drew a symbol, we all backed up the the teacher yelled, "WHAT ARE YOU-" A barrier surrounded us and he turned to the dummies half way, drew another symbol and a blast of lighting hit the three of them, they exploded and the aftermath blew back at us but it didn't hit us due to the barrier he set up beforehand. His hood fell down revealing horns, he turned to us and we gasped.

"No way..." One elf murmured.

"Am I dreaming?" Another said.

"A Startouch elf..." Ethan gawked. 

The Startouch elf waved his hand across and the barrier dissolved, he blinked his blue eyes at us and then brought his hood back up and walked away. He exited out of the room and the surge of confidence disappeared from me. 

"Oh my, okay kids, stay away from Prince Sylvar I guess." The teacher blinked a few times, "I wonder who his parents are." 

"I know!" we all turned our gazes at Merryweather, "It could be Aara-"

"BAHGHHH!!! DON'T SAY HIS NAME!" A moonshadow elf yelled, "He shall not be named!"

"Oh right sorry Diana!" Merryweather blushed, "I mean he could be." 

"He could not be! That elf is locked in a mirror someplace guarded by the Dragon King!" Diana puffed out air, "Prince Sylvar must be someone else's kid."

We all nodded and then we were ushered out of the room to the waiting facility. I looked around and Diana walked over to me, "Hey! I'm Diana! You must be Malachi!" She looked over and pulled my wing, "COOL! You know you must be very special! Only one out of ten Skywing elves have these." 

I blushed and then folded in my wing, "Yeah, I mean sure." 

Diana giggled and Merryweather huffed, "You shouldn't talk to strangers Priestess Diana." 

"Priestess?" I tipped my head and Diana cheered. 

"YESS! I'm a Priestess! My mother is the guardian of the moon! I'm gonna take over her job when she retires!" 

"Oh... cool!" I smiled. 

"OH MY GOSH!" A loud voice yelled and we looked over. Elves where following the cloaked elf we saw earlier. "Prince Sylvar! Is it true?!"

The cloaked elf waved his hand across and a gust of wind pushed them back. He turned away and walked in our direction. We backed up and he turned and looked at me before gazing at Diana. He blinked his eyes and then Diana squeaked, "H-Hello your highness!" She bowed and the prince nodded his head. 

"So, you are a Startouch elf." I managed to say, "Did you help me cast that spell earlier?" 

Prince Sylvar nodded his head slightly and Diana gasped, "Wow..." 

"Thanks, but you could of let me make a fool out of myself your highness." I stammered.

Prince Sylvar touched my hand and I blushed before he walked away.

"You're red, do you liiiiike him?" Merryweather cooed. 

"N-NO! It's not like that!" I squawked. 

"Suuuuure!" Diana and Merryweather grinned.