vi. part four

ZACH PRESSED HIS FOREHEAD AGAINST HIS LOCKER, sinking his skin deeper into the cool metal as he closed his eyes to relish the sensation

ZACH PRESSED HIS FOREHEAD AGAINST HIS LOCKER, sinking his skin deeper into the cool metal as he closed his eyes to relish the sensation. All night he tossed and turned in bed unable to fully lull himself to rest, constantly stuck between realms of sleep.

It wasn't that he lacked tiredness. No, his anxiety pricked his skin, sending him to overdrive of being on edge, afraid of how Lyssa's night would unfold.

After their conversation on the phone, Zach had taken a long hot shower then sprawled across his bed, staring at the childish neon stars atop of his ceiling, void of all emotion. He contemplated calling Lyssa again to tell her goodnight and talk to her until they both gave in to their bodies needs and fell asleep virtually as one but he knew she wanted her space.

The thought of her cuddled in bed alone, drowning in her own mind, eaten by her thoughts terrified Zach. Every minute and hour that passed, each day, he was on edge; worried that the gears in Lyssa's head were manipulating her to believe, her selff inflicting wounds were in fact the answer.

Worrying about Lyssa was normal, something Zach was accustomed to. Regardless of his mothers' constant nagging - advice - and Lyssa's own parents telling him to settle down and conceal him from allowing Lyssa to be his main priority over everything, he couldn't help it.

Zach had given his whole mind, body, and soul completely over to Lyssa.

It wasn't just Zach and what he wanted, but solely about Lyssa and what she wanted - no needed - to function.

Sighing, Zach closed his eyes in hopes to catch a second of sleep but the sound of his peers roaming the halls and opening then slamming their lockers made it impossible.

"Hey you."

Frail hands pressed to Zach's shoulder, pulling his frame away from his belongings so he was standing upright at attention. Zach opened his eyes, readjusting to the hallway daylight. His pupils dilated as noticed his girlfriend's smiling figure standing before him. Her hair had been pulled up into a tight top knot, her face freshly dewed of makeup, while her lips were glossed and grinning wildly showing her straight teeth.

Part of Zach felt as if he had to have been dreaming. Considering how their night unraveled, he didn't expect to see Lyssa at school; let alone if she did, appearing like a full ray of sunshine. Days as such where Lyssa would act as if the world wasn't on her shoulders and she was starting fresh without batting an eye, were rare and often, disappear as quick as they arrived.

"Hey," he mumbled and brought his hand to his forehead, rubbing the creased lines embedded to his skin.

Lyssa examined his faced with an amused brow and brought her finger to his forehead, tapping along the marks that resembled a music scale. "Not enough sleep?" she chuckled like she didn't know.

"I guess you could say that," he tensed and eyed her with weary. Lyssa stood on her tiptoes and kissed his nose, "I brought you hot chocolate," she said and lifted her hand holding a styrofoam cup in her grasp.

Zach's uneasy eyes glanced over her once more. He wanted to question her actions and ask whether she was okay but he decided against it. Instead, he would enjoy the day and the mood Lyssa was in without thought or concern. It was days like this Zach truly enjoyed, where he and Lyssa both felt an ounce of hope, that eventually things will work out and be okay. Shrugging off his uncertainty, Zach smiled and took the cup from her hand and brought it to his mouth, taking a sip.

"Thanks," he grinned and wrapped his free arm around her waist, pulling Lyssa to his side to kiss the top of her head. He could feel her press her face deeper into his shirt and inhale before smiling in content. "Walk me to class?" her voice muffled into his cotton sweatshirt then peered upward with a sheepish grin. "When do I not?" Zach smirked and let his arms fall to grab ahold of her hand and lace their fingers as one.