xii. part ten

Nestled upon sprawled beach towels atop of the logged dock, Zach and Lyssa were side by side. Her head was near his feet and his vice versa, their skin stuck together from the water of the lake and beads of sweat trickling from the blazes of summer's sun.

They had woken early on a Sunday for their anniversary, one year together, three hundred and sixty-five days, to embark on a surprise date planned by yours truly, Zach Dempsey himself. His attentive order to wake at eight a.m and dress appropriate for a summer day surprised Lyssa. She had usually been the one to plan day dates and night dates yet Zach had taken it upon himself to latch onto the reins with confidence.

Unknown to his girlfriend, Zach had their year anniversary date planned the moment they went on their first date as a couple.

Zach arrived at her door right at eight thirty, wearing light blue board shorts and a white t-shirt with black flip flops. In his hand were a bouquet of yellow tulips, the flower petals shaking subtly from his nerves yet once he saw her smiling face open the door all doubt and anxiety washed away. He had been to her house thousands of times, ate dinner with her family, played video games with Jeff, and watched movies with his girlfriend, yet a year had gone by and it felt like the very first.

While Lyssa had put her flowers on the back patio within the shade, Zach had scurried to her bedroom, filling her bag with a bathing suit and extra pair of clothes. Her eyebrow had arched when she carefully took her bag from him and jumped when he stopped her from looking inside.

"It's a surprise remember?" he teased then pecked her lips and held the door open for her to get in the car.

Their morning began at Rosie's diner, eating chocolate chip pancakes with an even chocolatier milkshake, extra whip cream and double cherries, ending with a long drive to the lake. It was when Lyssa noticed the two oak tress in the distance along the country an hour out of town that she noticed they were reliving their very first date.

With a squeal, she unlocked her seatbelt and grabbed his face, pressing her lips to his cheek.

"I love you," she had breathed into his skin, then slouched along his shoulder as he continued to drive.

To their luck, the lake had been empty - at least their part had. When wandering the first time they were there, they found a backwater of the lake with a dock, giving them all the privacy in the world.

Thus, here they were now; in their home away from home.

Lyssa loved moments as such where neither one of them had to spill a word from their lips. They could sit or lay in silence without awkward pause and bask in the feeling radiating off their bodies.

His finger tickled the side of her ankle and Lyssa bit her lip, hiding a giggle by biting her bottom lip. Zach tilted his head to peer down at his girlfriend, laughing as her smile grew with each touch of his finger along her special spot.

Her giggle filled the air and Lyssa faked a groan, "Zach!"

Laughing Zach wrapped his hand around her ankle and kissed her skin then sighed. "I miss you," he said and glanced up at the sky.

The towel moved underneath Lyssa's body and when Zach glanced away from the sun, he noticed her crawling to him. Laying down upon her side, Lyssa propped her head up with her elbow and with her free hand placed it upon his chest. Her thumb went to his face and she ran it along his lips.

Her eyes roamed over him yet his eyes struggled to meet hers.

"I miss you too Zach," she whispered.

Zach grabbed her wrist and puckered his lips, pressing them to the tip of each finger to the inside palm of her hand. Sighing, he dropped her hand on his bare chest then met her bronze face, his attention focusing between the clouds and her.

"I wish you stayed," he admitted and brought one hand behind his head.

Her hand traced his pecs and the lines of his abdomen, "I wish I did too."

"It's okay Zach," she said then straddled him. Her hands went to his wrists and she tugged his body upward so he was sitting up, their faces inches apart. "It's okay to be sad, to be mad," she sighed then brushed the strands of his wet hair away from sticking to his forehead, "but you need to let go."

Zach laughed a breath of air and looked away. Though his hands were gripping his waist, he flinched at her touch upon his face. "I don't want to lose you," he whispered and leaned his forehead against yours.

Her hands held his face and she closed her eyes, rubbing her nose against his. "I'm always with you," she whispered and kissed his lips softly, "don't forget it."