Full Novel

Ataxia and the Ravine of Lost Dreams

RACHEL BARNARD

Copyright © 2012 Rachel Barnard

All rights reserved, including the right to produce this book or portions thereof in any form.

ISBN: 1493641182

ISBN-13: 978-1493641185

This is a work of fiction. All characters and events portrayed in this book are fictional, and any resemblance to real people or incidents is purely coincidental.

Cover design by Dodo’s Design

DEDICATION

I built this novel. I would like to dedicate its completeness to all you individuals who have been successful on your own, whether or not someone along the line gave you some help.

“When emotions lead to actions, mistakes are made.”

- JOHNNY

1

SECRET PASSAGEWAY

Saturday: September 9th, 2023

I remember the first time I found the secret passageway. It was all because of Johnny. I was wandering through the grounds of the Academy and discovered the shed in the back of the school. There sat the kayak. At first glance it didn’t look seaworthy and was coated in a layer of dust. I wiped it clean and checked it over for holes. It was scuffed with chipped and faded paint but overall looked like it would float. I dragged it over the grass and through the hedges that defined the border between the Academy and the woods beyond, all the way to the lake.

I pushed the tip of the kayak into the rippling water, holding onto the front end and stepped in with care. It sank a bit lower in the water and a ripple pushed outward from the craft. I fished the cracked paddle from the bottom and a hidden spider scuttled away from me. Pushing off from the bank with the end of the paddle, I glided toward the center of the lake. The kayak creaked but held firmly together. Excellent. I was too tired from dragging the boat to the water to do much more than drift lazily and occasionally steer with the paddle.

It was around sunset on my way back when I saw the boy. He framed the setting sun with his squared jaw and husky shoulders. He started walking toward me. I stopped when I saw him and waited to see what he would do or say.

“You’re not supposed to go there.”

“Go where?” I answered innocently.

“Beyond the grounds of the Academy,” he said, “Didn’t you get the memo?”

I answered with a blank stare before continuing on my way. He laughed.

“They sure are getting desperate. However did you pass the entrance physical exams? It looks like you’ve been half-starved. Can you even lift 50 pounds?”