Chapter 1

*Braidy's POV*

 Finally.

        This word continuously runs through my mind as I step onto the plane. Finally, I get to leave my stuffy and snobby town in the middle of New Jersey, and stay in California for three weeks. Being the aspiring journalist that I am, I'm part of my school newspaper and each year the staff chooses one freshman to fly across the country and report on something great. This year, I'm lucky enough to be able to go. Stay in California for three weeks alone? How cool is that?

        The plane is small, and the seats are in pairs of two. I glance down at my ticket, and find my seat is in the last row, window seat. Damn. I hate the window seat.

        I start my trek to the back of the plane. I throw my carry-on bag into the above compartment, and sit down in my seat. To pass the time until takeoff, I take out my Kindle and start reading.

        Out of the corner of my eye, I see a figure appear to my right.

        "Ah, the mysterious owner of the best seat on this plane," I say without looking up.

        "The aisle seat? In the very back? Most people don't consider that even half decent," laughs the voice of a boy.

        I look up. A very cute boy. No, scratch that. A gorgeous boy with bright blue eyes and dark hair. I recognize him immediatley, Hayes Grier. Keep it cool, Braidy, don't freak out.

        "Oh no, this is the prime seat for people with tiny bladders like myself. You're already in the back and close to the bathroom, and when you sit in the aisle seat you don't have to awkwardly squeeze past people to get out." Did I really just describe my bladder issues to Hayes Grier? Could I be more idiotic?

                He just laughs, "You bring up a good point. Although," he looks me straight in the eye and smirks, "I won't mind if you have to squeeze by me"

        Blushing, I say "You're going to regret saying that about fifteen minutes into the flight."

        "What's your name?" he asks.

        "Braidy" I tell him.

        "I'm Hayes" he responds.

        "Yep."

        "Yep?" Hayes repeats, confused.

        "Yep: slang for yes. Other variations include yeah and yup."

        He laughs, "I know what yep means, I just don't know why you said it. Have we met before?"

        "Nope," I respond, "but I do know who you are."

        Hayes smirks and raises his eyebrows, "Oh do you now?"

        "Well I am a 14 year old girl, and in school I'm surrounded by tons of 14 year old girls, so I don't really have the option to not know who you are." I shrug

        "Okay Braidy, looks like were gonna really get know each other during this flight. Six hours."

        "Minus the time I'm in the bathroom," I say solemnly.

       "Minus the time you're in the bathroom," Hayes repeats.

        How am I supposed to do this for six hours?