Chapter 9

Jeremy turned around as soon as Amon spoke. His face was turned away from me, but I could tell by the way he was raising his head, he was shocked by the large man in front of us.

Amon blinked slowly, frowning. He wasn't fond of being gawked at for his huge side, but it was understandable. Standing at over seven feet, Amon was a large man, and his wolf was even larger. He had arms the size of tree trunks, and when I had first met him, I had gawked too.

"At least, he isn't making a stupid comment," I mused, remembering what I had said the first time that I had seen him.

Amon turned his gaze to look at me, and his brown eyes softened while he bowed his head. "Avalon," he said. "It is so nice to see you well and standing."

I scowled but bowed my head in respect. "It is good to see you well and standing, as well," I said. I paused and cocked my head while I looked at him through narrowed eyes. "Though I hope you have some good news for me."

Amon shook his head, and I scowled. "You can have your half day, but you are going to be training tonight." He looked at Jeremy before looking at me. "And, Mr. Reene will be there the whole night. If not, then you may follow him."

I raised an eyebrow. "Ya, and risk being spotted? No, thank you." I narrowed my eyes when he smirked. "Unless you are going to have some of your pack members around for that reason."

Amon nodded in confirmation. "I will have some people around," he promised, and my shoulders sagged in relief because that was all that I needed to know. "We don't want them to find you or your mate."

"Ok, I haven't accepted her as my mate, so please don't refer to her as my mate," Jeremy said, and my heart shattered at his harsh words, even though I understood because I had been a dick to him, to everyone that I met for my and their protection. He didn't look at me, so he couldn't see me trying to mentally compose myself until I made a mask over my feelings.

Amon scowled, catching the hurt look on my face. "You should be careful what you say, Young Man," he said, his voice hard. "Your safety is our number one concern. You have no idea what she had given up to make sure that you stay sa-"

"And, it would be wise for him not to know, not until he is in a place to protect himself," Adofo said, interrupting him. He had caught me trying to compose myself, and I knew that he was annoyed as well.

Jeremy scoffed and shook his head. "I can't fight," he said. "I do not know why you are trying to say that I can. I am not... coordinated enough." He nodded toward me. "That is what she has told me."

"That is what Demetria said," I replied, surprised that my voice was leveled and didn't crack like I thought it would. "I am sure that you can fight with the proper training, and believe me, the workouts that they put us through will help you. Speaking of which, can we at least have an easy workout tonight?"

Amon folded his arms across his chest. "And what have you done today?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Ummmm... I jumped about ten feet in the air because Adofo had tickled my feet and caught a foam block that he had using my magic?"

He raised his eyebrow further, staying silent.

"I was going to start, but the block and floor were so comfortable and called my name that I had to answer."

"She did have a rough night last night," Adofo mused. "She can have an extra hard workout tomorrow as well as train Mr. Reene tomorrow during the class period."

I scowled. "Don't you have a class to teach?" I asked, and he smirked and shook his head. "Buzzkill," I groaned, laying on my back. I did a bridge before walking my hands closer to my feet and standing that way. I folded my arms across my chest and raised an eyebrow. "Why not?"

"I have a sub," was his reply. "I am the Gamma and am needed at this meeting."

"You may have an easy workout tonight, but you will be doing the course backward and forward tomorrow during gym," Amon said, interrupting me before I could retort. He gave me a pointed look, and I closed my mouth. "And, you will be helping Mr. Reene with his training. I am sure you can handle it."

"Who says that I was even going to be coming?" Jeremy asked. He folded his arms across his chest and scowled while he studied the two men before me. "I could just say that I am sick and not go to school or training."

"And millions of lives could be lost because you don't want to do this," I said, and Amon growled a warning at me while Jeremy looked at me for the first time since Amon came in. I set my jaw and didn't look at the Alpha Male; my gaze solely focused on my mate. "You have no idea what is out there, and you need to be prepared for whatever happens. Lives are counting on you, and I know that I am not making any sense, but I have duties just like you."

I walked over to him and stood squarely in front of him. I set my jaw and stared hard, ignoring the other two men that were warning me not to say a lot. "Try as you might, there is no getting out of this. Trust me, I know. I've tried and failed. They will get you to these places and won't let you leave until you do what they want. They're here to protect us and make sure that we are ready for whatever is out there. And believe me, you are going to need all the training that they offer because whatever we have to do after this will be hell."

Jeremy scoffed and shook his head. "Ya right," he said, but I could hear a small bit of doubt in his voice. "I'm leaving." He turned away from me and looked at Amon. "Excuse me; I would like to join the rest of my class."

Amon moved out of his way, his jaw set. He was seething with anger, and I knew it was from Jeremy's lack of concern. He and I knew that if he had to be put up with anybody else, he would do it, but it was me, and he wasn't a fan of me.

Jeremy walked out and didn't look back. He didn't see me sit on the floor and look so defeated. He didn't know how much it had hurt me for him to walk away and leave me behind again.

"He'll come around," Amon said, softly. He studied me, and his gaze softened while he cocked his head. "It will take some time, but he will."

I shrugged my shoulders and grimaced. "I hope so," I whispered, feeling exhausted and alone. "If not, then I am not able to do my job. The others will be found and be killed, and it will be all my fault because I wasn't able to collect the first one and get him prepared for the hell he has to face."