Reaching

Five in the morning, everyone's waking up for work and school. My eyes wouldn't open. This paralysis forced my mouth shut. Once the illusory gravity was released, I couldn't even imagine moving a fiber of my body from underneath the covers. My eyes jolted open and the first thing I saw was pitch black. My pillow was damp with sweat. Right then, I couldn't remember what dreamed about, but I wasn't afraid. Maybe it wasn't a nightmare, then. My heart beat, steadily. I couldn't see anything around me and I had no idea where my door was. For all I knew, Xander could've snuck under my bed to scare me once my feet touched the floor.

Indy opened the bedroom door and let a pool of soft, orange light from the hallway sweep across the floor. His face was in shadow.

In a quiet voice, he asked me, "Sleeping in today?"

"No Indy, it's a school day," I didn't realize how croaky my voice was in the morning. I rolled on my back and stared at the night sky that was the ceiling.

"Don't stress over it. I'll take care of everything."

"Are you talking about our plan?"

"Yeah, but let me handle it. You deserve it."

I knew he couldn't see me. I wished I could show him my slight smile. I buried myself back in my covers and took a deep sigh of relief. Indy tiptoed next to my bed.

"What about tomorrow?" I dug my face in my warm pillow. "I can't ignore this, forever. How do I know what the council's doing?"

"We don't have to know," Indy said. "Are you sure this isn't about something else?"

"It's not important. What time is it?"

"You took a nap. It's, like, three in the afternoon."

"And you didn't wake me up?"

"You looked so sad when I woke you up, before."

Indy left out the room, leaving the door open. A familiar obstacle took his place and leaned against the door frame.

"I tried calling you, earlier," Helix whispered. Somehow, his silver eyes glistened in spite of the darkness as they demanded my attention.

"Sorry, I was sleeping," I breathed, trying to slow my beating heart. "You need me?"

"I need to talk to you."

His hand fell on the doorknob and he carefully pushed the door shut without a creak and wiped the orange light away. I turned my body to face the window. The curtain and blinds held hostage any natural light my eyes needed so badly. I closed my eyes.

"It's Halloween, today." I felt his weight at the end of my bed, "And I really wanted to celebrate it."

"Me, too."

He sighed and continued, "But it can't be like those other times."

"Go on."

"That means no council talk. It's making me sick."

Though I really wanted all my questions answered at once, a heavy weight was lifted off my shoulders for me. But it felt wrong not letting Indy go with us. Helix shifted. He crawled to the head of my bed and laid his head on another pillow. He hid his smirk. My heart pounded.

"So no questions?" I joked, trying to break the silent pauses. I took a deep breath to collect myself.

"I can answer one of them."

He laid a warm hand on my cheek and brushed the hair behind my ear. "You can relax, now."

"I can?"

"You know the answer."

Those words were magnetic. The only hindrance of the dark was that it prevented my eyes from exploring. His apologies I could hear in every breath he took. Ropes to tangle me his irresistible hold. My voice trembled in heart-stopping excitement, "Maybe you could get me a costume or something."

"Maybe. Costumes are stupid." he sat up. "But we'll see."

He helped me up and out of the bed. I could hardly stand without keeping my hand on the bedpost. I slipped on my sneakers, which color, I didn't see. My agonized teeth kept me from talking further.