To Play the Only Card

The orange and neon lights decorated the outdoor Ralston Peaks Plaza, not named after the ancestors of Peirson, I hoped. Crowds of children and teenagers flooded every last store with semi-open doors. Artists sat children on the Foundation Fountain and painted their faces as zombies and bats and other monsters. Pastry fragrance filled the warm air. Good thing Fall was only beginning, or else I couldn't even be paid to leave the house. Helix linked arms with me and held me close to his side while admiring the lights and costumes.

"Should we have come yesterday?" I twinged at the sight of so many people. "There's a gazillion people here!"

"I know," he smirked. "It's gonna take a while."

"I'm sorry! If I just went to school, we could've gone straight here."

"Yeah, it's peak hours here, but that's when all the good stores open."

"Right."

I caught a glimpse of some familiar faces at school, not that I knew their names or anything. They couldn't recognize me, I'm sure, but probably Helix.

He raised my chin so our eyes met. "It's just me and you, Starboy."

I wanted to melt into the pavement right then. I didn't know what that meant. We went into the biggest shopping center of the plaza, Clock Mall, where the actual massive clock the size of planet Earth sat atop the building. It was officially three o'clock. I haven't been on an escalator since eighth grade when Helix pushed me down at closing time. Or when he pushed me into an elevator on the same day. It took me to Saint Masquerade Costume Department when a billion college students scavenged for the most skimpy costume they could buy on sale.

Helix pointed to an escalator as tall as a two-story house. I gulped. In the back of my mind, I knew he wouldn't push me down the stairs now that it somehow appeared taller than before.

"So tall!" he gushed.

"We're taking an elevator!" I hollered over the booming voices of tourists and shoppers.

"Fine, okay."

He darted through a flock of costumed kids with me holding onto his arm after him. The elevator ride wasn't too long, even if we were crammed in with people from our own grade. We ended up in my greatest enemy, Saint Masquerade. The lights were coated in dark orange and red filters and every costume was hung on individual walls arranged in rows around the store with weird hospital room lights to bring out the lavishness. It was fancier, but that didn't make it convenient for any kid under five foot. Next to us were several mall kiosks of fake glasses and random thrift store items.

"Starboy, you like candles?" Helix rushed over to the mall kiosk closest to us. Through a glass barrier stood novelty wax candles carved to look like astrology symbols.

"What's the candle gonna be for?" I asked.

"Maybe we could use it."

"Stop it! I didn't say—"

"Not like that... You know, unless you're into that."

"Why? Are you?"

"What if I am?"

I covered my mouth to stop myself from blurting out anything I was thinking. He picked out a red wax candle shaped like a lion. I turned behind me to one of the walls. There hung a ripped, silk tailcoat and black pants consumed by chains at the ankles.

"A sexy poltergeist?" Helix giggled and started fiddling with the fabric in his fingers. "You wouldn't look half bad in this, actually."

"You too," I admitted. "I didn't think I'd ever say that"